Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by downeast, May 18, 2013.
Helpful Sponsor Ads!
The only time my furnace comes on is when we're gone for more than two days.
I finally fixed it last fall. For a few years up until then, I'd have to arrange for somebody to stay over or stop in to keep the fire going.
I turned it on one morning a couple of weeks ago.
I think about the only time the furnace turned on, was when I specifically turned it on to
make sure it was working OK.
yep same here
No, yours B².
How much oil...the whole truth.
Our wood burning C.V. is in many posts. Too boring to repeat.
Everybody else probably feels the same way. If you can't be bothered, neither can I.
Only other choice for me in my house are the wall heaters, no furnace to fall back on.. First month in the house the electric bill was almost $400! The wood stove was installed after that I have never looked back.
Run one or the other insert pretty much evenings and weekends all winter unless I'm not going to be around. Occasionally run them both. I use duct work with a whole house humidifier to move it around. In theory, I can heat my space pretty well with just wood, which is by design in case electricity goes out. No real desire to heat solely with wood, but that is primarily because of the cost of running the new system is pretty low.
Our furnace has not run for a long time now. Of course, we took it out about 34 years ago so it can't run. Wood heat for 100% and happy with it.
100% wood heat here, the electric furnace is broken. But... that said, the refrigerator is a heat pump, and dumps warm air into the house to keep the inside cold. The oven and stove also get used, and they heat with electricity. I also have an electric blanket and a hot water heater. The light bulbs give off heat as well.
But aside from that, I have "100%" wood heat here.
I run the furnace for about 15 minutes once a month just to make sure it is in working condition. Normal heat is the wood stove, keeps the house in the low to mid-70s. During really cold spells it is supplemented with the wood/coal stove downstairs. Long weekends away are covered by a coal fire downstairs. We leave the thermostat set at 60 degrees. It did not click on once this (or last) winter.
I do have an oil FHW furnace which I use for DHW via the tankless coil but I have not run it for heat in several years..
Only wood here. No furnace at all, only electric ceiling heat that is unhooked at the breaker box.
So is this whole exercise.
Am I missing something here?
A problem I have with these polls. Wanting info from everybody else and not starting by giving your own.
Ahh. I understand
98 % wood heat. The other 2% is if the oil turns on around 5am and it 5 deg out with wind, I jump out of bed for a reload. That furnace kicking in is a horrible unacceptable sound round here
Can I be precarious too and not tell anyone just for fun? Sorry, stirring the pot....couldn't resist.
I fit in the second category. Furnace does not run much but it is there and set at a target temp. Insurance company would not have it any other way. Growing up, Mom and Dad had electric ceiling heat set at 50 degrees. It ran a little.
Wait a second, I did not read the poll listing all of the way through. Can I change my answer to "romance wood use only"?
We did to growing up. My mom said it was no too hard on the electric bill. I used it in 2 rooms on low while running the Oslo as hard as it would go and still had a $400 E-bill. Thats when we quit using it.
We have gone 100% solar heat. Until October.
Five quarts a year in oil changes in the truck, a gallon of two stroke oil and a gallon of bar oil.
Ya, not the most efficient way of heating. For starters, it is radiant heat in the ceiling.
Separate names with a comma.