Worried about my wood stacks and termites!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
My neighbor had to have his pool linear replaced because there were huge colonies of termites eating the linear and making holes. He had called a company called Terminax out to kill them and spray around his house. His pool is about 150 -- 200 ft away from my stacks they are on pallets. But I am worried the termites will leave his area and head for my wood ?? Any thoughts ?? Any preventive measures I can take? II dont want to spray insecticide if I am going to burn this stuff in my house !!!

If the termites were sprayed I don't think they are moving anywhere - they'll die in place. On the other hand, if termites occur in your area, and there was a colony near your wood stacks, i'd assume scouts have already checked out your piles. If they haven't moved in it is because they didn't like the conditions, and they probably won't move into the stacks as long as conditions stay the same (that is, dry wood stacked off the ground). you might want to check around the base and under the stacks. i think you'll see some sort of sign if there is a colony in the stacks.

Termites eating a plastic liner ?

Most people I know with stacks spread a bit more than usual granules on the ground around the stacks and that seems to work for them.
I keep my stacks up off the ground with concrete blocks and PT wood rails.
If my house was twice the size and I burned twice as much wood that would probably be too much work.
I can't leave pallets on the ground because the termites eat them and I have these red and black ants that seem to like them for their style of nests. (the space between the slats will get full of pine needles and grass and straw).

I've never worried about any bugs in the wood piles and we do nothing special outside of keeping most of the wood from touching the ground. Naturally we have some powder post beetles annually but not much else other than some walking sticks and spiders and maybe a few praying mantis.

I do wonder if it really was termites eating that liner. Maybe more like ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.