Worst pellett I ever burned!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Winter is over for us . . . finally, but we still have the stove coming on to take the chill out of the house in the early morning. Madame DeFarge and my teen daughter insist on it.

We are at the end of a long season, burning 4 1/2 tons of FSUs with no problems, so long as we followed our regular cleaning schedule. BUT . . . after burning just 7 bags of Curran mixed Hardwood/Softwood blend, the stove was completely fouled. True, the last 8 bags of FSU preceded the Currans, subsequent to the prior cleaning, but I mean these pellets are dirty. Just vacuuming the stove was a problem as the filter on my Cougar clogged up and had to be cleaned twice during a normal cleaning. I had used the lint brush on the vent pipe 20 bags ago, but the amount of ash/soot I got out of the pipe this morning was astounding.

I know many people like these pellets, and my Harman usually chews up anything with no issue, but, no more Currans for me.

Winter is over for us . . . finally, but we still have the stove coming on to take the chill out of the house in the early morning. Madame DeFarge and my teen daughter insist on it.

We are at the end of a long season, burning 4 1/2 tons of FSUs with no problems, so long as we followed our regular cleaning schedule. BUT . . . after burning just 7 bags of Curran mixed Hardwood/Softwood blend, the stove was completely fouled. True, the last 8 bags of FSU preceded the Currans, subsequent to the prior cleaning, but I mean these pellets are dirty. Just vacuuming the stove was a problem as the filter on my Cougar clogged up and had to be cleaned twice during a normal cleaning. I had used the lint brush on the vent pipe 20 bags ago, but the amount of ash/soot I got out of the pipe this morning was astounding.

I know many people like these pellets, and my Harman usually chews up anything with no issue, but, no more Currans for me.
ya know,
when a Harman Stove Belches & Farts because of pellets,
deffinitly a pellet to avoid in most cases...
not a good endoresement for Currans...
knowing this place though, am sure we'll see some who swear by them...
'love this Forum:cool:

Gee whiz, I`ve burned some god awful pellets but none ever

Gee whiz, I`ve burned some god awful dirty pellets but I don`t think 7 bags of even bark would foul either of my stoves to the point you describe.

Worst pellet's are Lee Energy's, 2nd is North American's, lot's of ash and low heat, FSU are great, but build up a solid clinker in my burnpot, only pellet that ever did after 16 years of burning

Burned some Lee Energy last year, Sort of glad when they were gone however they did produce some heat.

I don`t think 7 bags of even bark would foul either of my stoves to the point you describe.

I used to feel the same way. Of course I was not starting with a newly cleaned stove, so it was not just 7 bags burned, but I never had anything like this burning FSU all winter. I should add that even with a fully and freshly cleaned stove the heat is lousy and my glass started getting dirty almost immediately. Oh well, I have 2 bags left so how much harm can they do before my end of season cleaning anyway!

Furnace is set for 60, heard it kick on around 5:30am for one cycle, my stove is clogged with ash bigtime from burning lee's and now GS which is garbage also, it's from there Deposit NY plant = Junk!!

I bought 10 bags of these during the pellet crunch in mid-late March. My stove had been installed a couple of weeks earlier and I had been burning PWI's and LG's. I threw these in and immediately my wife and I noticed a lack of heat. Then I noticed the ash and cleanup that I knew was coming my way at the end of the week. And I have an M55 which will burn everything and anything. I would never buy them again. But hey, when pellets were tough to come by, I didn't complain.

I bought 10 bags of these during the pellet crunch in mid-late March. My stove had been installed a couple of weeks earlier and I had been burning PWI's and LG's. I threw these in and immediately my wife and I noticed a lack of heat. Then I noticed the ash and cleanup that I knew was coming my way at the end of the week. And I have an M55 which will burn everything and anything. I would never buy them again. But hey, when pellets were tough to come by, I didn't complain.

Hey John, I know what you mean. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

I second the motion, Two bags of Curran's in my stove plugged up everything and they ground up and jammed the auger wheel and motor got destroyed. YUK:p

Status
Not open for further replies.