Worst place you ever left a fire starter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Got distracted when relighting today. Came back to the stove to adjust draft after ten minutes and found this:

1612DAD1-3CBC-431E-93BA-F72459F86C14.jpeg

In my defense, the top of an Ashford convection deck with blowers running probably never gets hot enough to even melt the wrapper, let alone light that chunk of SuperCedar it contains, but still… damn!

Reactions: MR. GLO
Reading the title I thought you were going to connect to that episode of Alone where one of the participants left his fire rod in the fire pit...

I have no firestarter but have forgotten to put the propane torch out of a line of sight from the stove.

Reactions: Ashful
Can’t lie- I though of the Clark Griswold line “bend over and I’ll show you”. Tis the season.

Reactions: begreen and Ashful
Wow, lucky it doesn't get hot up there. With my luck there'd be melted wax and plastic sucked into the cast iron!

It could have been worse. At least this didn't turn out to be a "Honey, what's that smell?" a few hours later, or "Honey, why is the stove on fire?"

• Haha
I once left our wooden kitchen utensil holder on the cookstove. I noticed a weird smoke smell and my partner quickly grabbed it before I even realized what was happening. Thankfully I was just lighting the stove and it hadn't gotten to the normal 800+ f.

My kids left a party balloon on top of my last wood heater. Once i smelled melty plastic it was too late and there was nothing left but a blue puddle.
However, once the stove cooled down I was able to just peel it off!

I remember years ago a guy was trying to figure out why their stove suddenly was smelling so bad. Every time they had a hot fire this sickly smell would fill the house. We spent a while eliminating the paint and other things as the possible source. Eventually, they isolated the smell to the back of the stove. It was suggested that they pull the rear heat shield and voila, there were army figures melting down back there. Evidently, they got lost in the trenches when their son was playing on the stove during the summer.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Love the new avatar @SpaceBus!
Thanks! I had the stamp made for my egg cartons after I started selling eggs in February this year. I figure it's probably a good idea to start promoting our "farmstead" on social media and stuff like that. Which means I'll have to actually engage in real social media and make a farm handle on all of the platforms. So far I've just changed the avatar on my personal FB account to match this one ;lol This year I went back to a flagship smartphone after using a flip phone for the last three years. Now I just have to remember to take more pictures of the chickens and alpacas. Some day I'll be able to market our alpaca fiber as well, but for now I have many pounds of raw fleece.

When my family was looking at our cabin before purchase the realtor had lit a fire in the stove prior to us arriving for a walk through. Which was nice because it was winter and the stove was the only source of heat at the time. However she so kindly left the poker on top of the stove. No risk of burning the joint down but if left on top for too long someone would have had quite the shock when picking it up again. Envision Joe Pesci from home Alone when he grabs the door handle. 🤣