Worst Winter in 116 years...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
Is it any wonder that pellet stoves/boiler sales were up, pellet quantities were short, increased cost to all heating fuel types?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/citys-worst-winter-since-98----1898-254004961.html

Not sure when "official" temperature records for the area were started but this puts the winter in its proper context. Flat out the worst for 116 years. All forms of heating were likely stressed to the max... Glad we are finally getting some warm day time temps and the snow is gradually melting:)

Reactions: Ashful
I knew we had a warm Nov. last year something was up. Maybe next year it will be worse from all those CO2s from the sources of man made heat!

Next Winter will be ...next winter. Cold ..yes.Thats what winter is..worst ever? Who can tell? Worst in 116 years...does Global Warming mean colder temps? Kind of like my day with Nuclear Winters. All bunk with no real science to back it. " No one messes with Momma Nature"

The worst one that Chicago has seen in (I believe) 114 years. It takes the wind out of the old timers that try the "you should have seen the winter of.....";)

Best thing i can cay about this past winter is" So so.......................... glad i dont have OIL heat anymore". House was actually much warmer this past winter than any of the 10 years i had the oil.

It may have not been the worst if you're going to get technical and look at historical temps but psychologically it's done a number on people. Many are saying that they can't remember such a long cold winter in recent memory.

I feel it in the wallet. While my heatings costs are way down since I switched to pellets, I've never burned as many pellets in a season as I did this one.

I feel it in the wallet. While my heatings costs are way down since I switched to pellets, I've never burned as many pellets in a season as I did this one.

How many tons did you go through this year and what have you burned in the past?

I'm nearly a ton over where I was by this time last year. I normally burn about 3 and I'm approaching 4.

I also added 10" of R30 fiberglass insulation to my attic this year. One can only guess at what my pellet consumption would have been had I not done that.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
I'm giving my stove a big hug tonight. Otherwise I would have been much poorerer burning oil.

I really did not think this winter was much worse then previous winters. Am I the only one in NE who thinks that?

No, believe it or not I did not think it was as bad as most complain in NE. I am curious how this area ranks in coldest winters. I am pretty sure it's not even in the top 10 coldest.

Edit: According to a local meteorologist, the Boston winter of 2013-2014 up to Feb 24th was only in the Top 65 coldest winters and was the coldest since 2002-2003.

Last edited:
I really did not think this winter was much worse then previous winters. Am I the only one in NE who thinks that?
I remember many winters where we got warm days frequently in between cold ones. Not so this year. All cold straight thru starting beginning of Dec. I only burned about a ton more fuel than normal years so ,id say about 20% colder at least.

Reactions: jatoxico
In Eastern Pa, Tri-State area, Del, Nj, Pa, coldest continuous temps since 1994.. 20 yrs...
on Oil, we would keep thermostat around 67 and wear warmer clothes or Burn more Oil. 1500-2000.00 yr.
This year with New Harman P61A, 73-74 all winter with 3/half tons used...

I'm so glad we put in the pellet stove. We were on track to burn about $3-4000 on oil ot heat this house for the winter. As soon as we told our landlord that, and that we had found a pellet stove, he okayed and PAID for the installation, of the stove. As it was, we still spent $2000 on oil (which I'm still paying off), but since we put in the stove, we're much much warmer for a fraction of the cost. I'm looking forward to a much more comfortable, and less expensive winter next year, no matter what Mother Nature decides to throw at us!

It may have not been the worst if you're going to get technical and look at historical temps but psychologically it's done a number on people. Many are saying that they can't remember such a long cold winter in recent memory.
I believe 1994 was worse, at least in the northeast / mid-Atlantic. This winter was unpleasant, but winter 1994 was just plain evil.

I'm in South West Wi. It's been extremely cold since last October 2012, Degree heating days are about 20% more than normal, Fuel usage follows along with these numbers approx 25 % more fuel used, If using propane or fuel oil in this area it has been very pricey !

This is an interesting read on global CO2 by country...Its all pretty sad....
Depends on your point of view. The trees are loving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.