worth it to go for a dead black locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor

Jan 13, 2015
Ontario
Hey all,

Have a lot of ash to burn in my neck of the woods from all the EAB.

My neighbour has a sad looking black locust on his property which I can take if I want. We had an arborist check on some other trees at our place but commented that this black locust is pretty much done for and I can see a few open "wounds" in the main trunk.

Worth it?

Can try to post a pic later.

Thanks

So has the EAB taken all the ash or just some, half? I keep reading about it here and feel for those affected. Does cold weather kill it? If so I would think the winter last year would have slowed its advance. Sounds similar to our mountain pine beetle out west in its amount of devastation.

Locust lasts a long time, which is why it's used to make fence posts. If it looks really bad, run the saw into it and see how it is. I'm guessing it's still top of the line firewood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trogdor
I have been foraging in my woods for locust posts for a shed... some of the logs I've found look completely old and decrepit from the outside but are 100% solid inside. I'm sure it's good, and if it's been dead long enough, might already be dry.

Reactions: Trogdor
So has the EAB taken all the ash or just some, half? I keep reading about it here and feel for those affected. Does cold weather kill it? If so I would think the winter last year would have slowed its advance. Sounds similar to our mountain pine beetle out west in its amount of devastation.
After the cold winter last year we just had an infestation close by. This bug comes in and pretty much takes all the trees pretty fast.

Reactions: Seanm
Yes.

What Jake said.

How about yes, yes, yes!.........

Will be taking it soon as I can, hope it's dry too!

EAB has pretty much decimated all the Ash rapidly. Most of the roads lined with these trees have all been cut down as a precaution.

How far south has the pine beetle made it?

Will be taking it soon as I can, hope it's dry too!

EAB has pretty much decimated all the Ash rapidly. Most of the roads lined with these trees have all been cut down as a precaution.

How far south has the pine beetle made it?
Not good for the ash.... Not sure exactly with the mountain pine beetle but Im working on posting a thread about it. I have seen huge advancements up until recent years through south eastern BC and also into SW Alberta but I've seen almost 0 red trees in my local area this last year. All the beetle kill trees that I see are from previous years and are starting to rot at the base and fall over. Talking to forestry management it appears that the population locally at least has rapidly declined.

have lots of really old dead locust near me, some as low as 17% moistuer at the center of a fresh cut, it's the best...

Grab it, great stuff. It's not seasoned though. Standing dead locust is never seasoned, it will dry a lot faster cut and stacked.:)

Locust is awesome for long burns, but terrible for starting fires or reloads on a small coal bed. So locust & ash is about a perfect mix!

I managed to get some from our state forest that was 19% mc on a scrounge run . Burning it now , gotta live it!

Grab it, before someone else does

Reactions: Lakeside
there are a bunch of dead locust stands around me.... I already took down the ones on my family's land... time to start knocking on doors I think :)

If only pine was burnable 100% of the time :(... I live in the pine barrens and that pine beetle is destroying massive stands. i use it for starts and morning burns, but its truly sad how much of it i leave behind. i haven't personally burned locus, but from what i hear it is awesome. cut it and see what it looks like. if its decent, split/stack and burn next year! free is for me! my motto has always been wood is wood (referring to hardwoods) and as long as its dry, you can burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.