worth it to rebuild a "task force" 5-ton electric log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
well the title pretty much sums up my question. last fall, my splitter seemed to lose power, and when it went to split a good sized log, instead of the motor stopping, it just bogged down and then sped back up like the pressure from the hydraulics was getting past the seals. not really sure. I checked the fluid and it was full, . from first looks, it doesnt "seem" like it would be too hard to rebuild depending on what was exactly is wrong with it. Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these before? not sure if i can get new seals etc.. or if i would have to check local shops that deal with hydraulics to see if i could find what i needed. The unit itself is not that old or beat up, i got it off craigslist for 125.00 from a guy that used it for 3 months (house had a stove when he bought it) before deciding to go to pellets, so i dont believe it was abused too badly before i got it.
any ideas / help is appreciated

If it is just the seals on the cylinder (piston) - you can probably find parts on the cheap. The rings can be cross referenced based off of dimensions. Almost ALL can be cross ref.
If it were me...and that is the type of machine that suits my needs...I would put in a little leg work to fix it. Probably just a few bean pods and a little time to get it back going.

Status
Not open for further replies.