1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Worth It?

Post in 'The Gear' started by frogy, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogy

frogy New Member

Loc:
    Sothwest MI
    I have a 028 Stihl that is giving me some problems after 25 years of good service, it has only 65psi. My question is do guys think it is worth the money to replace the cylinder,piston,rings to get it up again?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
    If that was my only saw I'd get a new one and rebuild that one to have as a backup.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    frogy, I don't really think any of us here can answer that question for you...no idea what your financial situation is, nor your mechanical skills, nor how much you depend on the saw. In any case, I really like Brian's idea. Rick
  4. Jamess67

Jamess67 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    +1
  5. SuburbanFarmer

SuburbanFarmer Member

Loc:
    New England / S. NH
    My 25 year old McCulloch required almost daily maintenance so I ordered a new Echo. The new one hasn't come yet, but the old McCulloch worked flawlessly all day today. Go figure?! I vote for rebuilding and keeping your old saw as backup. Before committing to rebuilding, I would soak the piston & rings in a good penetrating oil. (My favorite is Marvel Mystery Oil. Obviously it won't help weart or scoring, but but it may 'unstick' rings...) I squirted it into the exhaust port, with the muffler removed, rotated the piston, etc. The saw ran like a champ today. Maybe it was the new bar and chain? Compression was 100psi before, I haven't measured lately. The easy way out is to part it out on eBay...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.