worth millions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Any one ever actually count how many peices of split wood (average works here) there are in a cord of wood?

We could all be worth millions. Dicks sporting goods is selling wood in bundles 7 or 8 peices of wood that I would almost classify as kindling for 5.99. I figure it amounts to about 2 hours of burn time in my stove.

What's in my yard is worth a fortune, and EJ is like the Bill Gates of wood burners!

Gotta run now...I'm off to have a discussion with the marketing department. ;-)

Yep, if you are going to sell wood, that is definitely the way to do it...economy of scale! Most expensive way to buy it is in those little bags, cheapest is probably by the dump truck!

Corey

Two years ago, going into Quebec at the border crossing I had my pickup half loaded with firewood. The cottage we were staying at had a fireplace so I figure what the heck and bring some wood up. When I got to the border I had to either leave the wood there or was given the option to bring it back home. I guess they are worried about disease spreading across the border. Needless to say I brought it back home. When I got up there everyplace was selling these bundles of wood in plastic bags. I mean everywhere, gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores, you name it. I ended up spending 40 bucks Canadian currency just for the wood. Next time I'm going to cruise around town and see if there is someone willing to sell me half a truck load and what I don't burn I'll leave up there. The wood was more like kindling, split pretty small, would not last very long. It was better than nothing and I was able to get enough BTU's out of the fireplace to shut off the electric heat and open the windows every now and again to cool it down.

Hello Warren,
We sell cord wood in Seattle. Our cords are cut into 16" lengths. We figure 600 plus pieces per cord. They stack out 24' long by 4' high.
Thomas

Gee Warren, I never thought of myself as a firewood millionare, but now that I think of it, I do use $50 bills to light the boiler off.

Actually a couple of years ago my $50 weekly allowance somehow got mixed in with some waste paper, probably because it was still in one of those little bank envelopes. Anyway my wife (she's a firewood widow), started a fire with it. As I recall, it was a very nice fire.

Hmm, if I use 7, then that works out to be a bit over 500.00 per cord. Given that I'm sure your cord wood peices are likely twice the size of these, I'm guessing that little bundle price works out to nearly 1000.00 per cord. I'll have to measure the actual size of one of these some day for kicks and figure the price based on volume (a cord of wood being 128 cubic feet of loosly packed wood) Rough guess is that that little bundle was around 1 cubic foot of wood, making a tidy little cord price of roughly 768.00. Of course my calculations are rough.

I must have a good 5 grand in my back yard.

Eric Johnson said:
Gee Warren, I never thought of myself as a firewood millionare, but now that I think of it, I do use $50 bills to light the boiler off.

Actually a couple of years ago my $50 weekly allowance somehow got mixed in with some waste paper, probably because it was still in one of those little bank envelopes. Anyway my wife (she's a firewood widow), started a fire with it. As I recall, it was a very nice fire.

Hey with 29 cords out there my calculations work out to be a bit over 22k. I'm tellin ya....time to get with the marketing dept!!

Hey, you forgot to count the 5 cords in the garage!

Out here everyone and their mother-in-law is selling wood on their front lawns, gas stations, even at the IGA. They stack it up about 4- 5 rows high, 2 real skinny splits to a row, and charge 5 bucks a stack. When I say its everywhere, I mean, everywhere. I pass 4 guys selling wood in the 2.5 miles it takes to drive into town. Who buys it? People in Saab convertibles and Minivans going out to their summer house for a weekend in the winter. These are the same people who will drive home with a Christmas tree strapped to the roof, and were the same people out here 6 weeks ago stealing all our pumpkins for their front steps.
Meanwhile, the local wood guys sell wood by the cord for 170-190 per cord, delivered, and the local Gucci garden center is selling 1/2 a face cord for 70 bucks, dropped off at your house.

-- MW

We camp, have a pop up. Where it is not a problem we do bring our own wood. But many states will no longer allow you to bring wood in. Fear of bugs. We still have no problems when we camp here in the NorthEast, but we don't bring wood over the border when we go. They do charge an arm and a leg for it at campgrounds and it's mostly green wood.

We experienced our first campground theft this year. Brought 3 days of wood when we went to the Lake George/Schroon Lake area. First night out, thought I heard bears, hubby wouldn't believe it since I hear all sorts of noises when we camp and don't sleep. What I heard must have been the lovely people who confiscated all of our wood, kindling and newspaper which was in ziploc bags.

Was at our local Agway this week. A pallet of wood there was $99.00 stacked about 4 feet high. I havent' seen alot of the price increases in wood in my area yet for that which you buy split and by the cord. Pellet prices, yes, as well as lack of availability, but not as many burn wood. Messy you know and who wants to stack and haul wood! Yeah for me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.