Worth repairing? FREE England Works Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
Found and England Works wood stove for free on the side of the road. It was manufactured in 2000. Looks to be a catalytic stove which I am not familiar with. I am very handy and can sandblast the stove, replace roap gaskets ect.....however I have no idea if cat is working, or if it needs replaced or if they still make replacement cats for this stove. Obviously not burned properly by last owner....folks around here are known for burning wood they cut yesterday... Lol. We season ours for 3yrs and would consider keeping for a shop stove or selling if rebuildable.

Attachments

• 1413148930651.jpg
    1413148930651.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 1413148989812.jpg
    1413148989812.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 325
I would say its absolutely worth it! Assuming the insides aren't warped beyond use. The cats will be available from an aftermarket source.

A 24-ACD. Very efficient stove and pretty much every part is available for it on the Englander web site. Mike Holton the tech support manager for ESW heated his house with one until he switched to a pellet stove.

https://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/24-ACD.pdf

Last edited:
The baffle is warped but it can be repaired or easily fabricated no problem. I need to remove the cat but am concerned about replacing it, I know the bolts are rusted to crap, hoping if I take that apart I can get it back together.

Where is a good place to buy an cat if I need to replace it? I see the stove company has them but they are $175....was hoping to keep rebuild costs down.

Thanks!

Well here is the first fire. Cleaned up and going to try out the cat to see if it works. Pretty different operating instructions than our pacific energy summit.

We followed the burn instructions but only got 3hrs before the stove top temp fell to 325.

Anyone know how long will a cat stove burn at constant and at what temp?

Attachments

• 1414013436230.jpg
    1414013436230.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 239
That was a pretty fast rebuild. Looks good.

No idea on how long it should burn, but I bet when it is hooked up to a proper chimney, it will burn longer.

I have a friend that has one in his garage. I've never seen it, but he said he loves it.

Cat stoves need plenty of draft, you will need to put a catalytic probe on that stove to see temps on the cat to see if it is lighting off and staying lit to see if it is any good.

A proper functioning cat should result in 8+ hour burns depending on the firebox size, it will start out at around 1500 degrees and towards the end of the burn go down to around 500.

Are you able to see the cat through the window? It should get cherry red and you will see no smoke out the chimney if it is lighting off, make sure to get the stove hot enough in bypass mode before closing the damper to run through the cat. The manual posted above will give you the specifics.

That was quite a transformation!

Mike Holton at Englander had one of these stoves. He should be able to tell you a lot about how long it burns.

Well, we tried a couple of runs per the instructions and the stove temps drop down into the 300s once the by pass is closed, even on a very well pre heated full stove. I know the test setup isn't official and obviously not proper, but we wanted to determine if the cat is firing before install. If not it would be far easier to replace before the official install.

Once up to 500-600 degrees we close the bypass and the smoke has a really funny smell to it......kinda like sparklers or fireworks, ....ya know sulfur like.

So I'm on hold with the manufacturer to see what their opinion is. The piece hooding the cat is pretty jenky with rust so replacing it could be fun.

I cannot see the cat, it is located in back of the metal baffle.

Yes, it cleaned up pretty good after sandblasting. New gaskets, could use a new piece of glass but it will do for now.

Assuming the wood is fully seasoned, it could be a draft issue. Are you testing it indoors now, with a decent height chimney? How tall is it and what are the outside temps?

Assuming the wood is fully seasoned, it could be a draft issue. Are you testing it indoors now, with a decent height chimney? How tall is it and what are the outside temps?
I think he is doing this outside like pictured above. I bet the temps aren't getting high enough to light off the cat.

Yes, if outside, all it's doing is baking in the paint.

Yes we are test firing outside before we install. Wood has been split and stacked 3yrs. We burn exclusively in our home, for sure the smell isn't curing paint. Really does smell like snakes and sparkler fireworks.

Did run a test fire on a full load and got 8-9hrs at 300. But there was for sure smoke. And that was with the air fully open as with it closed down to 1" the stove temp drops fast. Stove top temps are 600 before bypass is closed. There isn't a spot on the stove for a cat probe thermometer.

So good burn time but I don't think it was a quality burn like we are use to.

The stove should perform much better with another 10ft of flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.