Worth scrounging in my backyard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poke807

Sep 25, 2011
Green Country
A few years ago, a bad ice storm tore things up pretty good here in Oklahoma. In the aftermath, I ended up taking down a river birch and a lacebark elm. I piled up a lot of it for a shooting backstop, and the rest went into a ditch behind the house. Assuming that it isn't rotten, would it be worth my while to salvage? There's probably 3 or 4 ricks worth.

Depends on how much your time is worth and what you have.

Even if it's rotted it will burn, after it's dried out. Not much heat in rotted wood, but if you don't have anything else...

I wouldn't bother with anything that has rotted too much, but there is nothing wrong with River Birch and Lacebark Elm. Both will make nice firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.