Worthless Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
I have been running my Quad now for three years and love it! Stove has run well! My question has always been why the thermometer (cheap Rutland kind....ya I know) showed lower temperature than all you guys talked about. I knew it might be 50 degrees off but ...... Merry Christmas to me. I bought a infrared thermometer. Now I realized the old thing was at least 200 to 250 degrees off!!!! Now I can cruise at 600 - 700 degrees no problem!

I have been running my Quad now for three years and love it! Stove has run well! My question has always been why the thermometer (cheap Rutland kind....ya I know) showed lower temperature than all you guys talked about. I knew it might be 50 degrees off but ...... Merry Christmas to me. I bought a infrared thermometer. Now I realized the old thing was at least 200 to 250 degrees off!!!! Now I can cruise at 600 - 700 degrees no problem!

I have two Rutlands (stove-top and flue). The stove top unit is very consistent with my IR. There's no way to use an IR on the flue gas, though, so who knows?

I have two Rutlands (stove-top and flue). The stove top unit is very consistent with my IR. There's no way to use an IR on the flue gas, though, so who knows?
Who knows? I have the stove top unit, still can't believe it is that far off.