Worx 16 inch electric saw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bodhran

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
Good day everyone, I have a worx 16 inch electric saw that has worked well for me so far. The only thing I have noticed lately is that it is almost impossible to move the chain along with my hands(gloves on) to sharpen it. The chain brake works fine. any ideas?

Possibilties: Chain tensioner too tight, some drivers buggered up inside rails (esp if ever thrown chain), rails pinched tighter, oiler not working and dry in rails

Possibilties: Chain tensioner too tight, some drivers buggered up inside rails (esp if ever thrown chain), rails pinched tighter, oiler not working and dry in rails
She's oiling fine and chain is fine on the bar itself. Hard to turn the chain drive sprocket? with a pipe wrench.

Outside my experience, then. I'd guess there's no clutch - just a sprocket on the "crankshaft". Maybe a motor, armature or brushes issue. Deeper than I've ever been an electric saw.

Take the chain off and see if the motor is still difficult to turn. You might be looking at a bearing issue on the motor.

Take the chain off and see if the motor is still difficult to turn. You might be looking at a bearing issue on the motor.
I removed the chain and took off the metal sprocket that drives the chain. I used a set of pliers and got the shaft to move freely after a few tries. Put it all back together and I could move the chain freely with my hands. As soon as I applied the chain brake and reset it went stiff again. My guess is the chain brake.

I removed the chain and took off the metal sprocket that drives the chain. I used a set of pliers and got the shaft to move freely after a few tries. Put it all back together and I could move the chain freely with my hands. As soon as I applied the chain brake and reset it went stiff again. My guess is the chain brake.

Sounds like you are on a good path. It is amazing what an adjustment here or a drop of oil there can do for lots of little problems.

Reactions: bodhran