Would 2.5 cords fit in a 14X7ft trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One cord is 128 cubic feet. 2.5 cords would be 320 cubic feet. If the sides of his trailer are 3.3 feet, then 3.3x7x14 = 323.4 cubic feet.

If the sides of the trailer are 4 feet tall, that would be 4x14x7, or 392 cubic feet.

Give him a call, and ask how tall the side of the trailer are, but also measure for yourself before you pay. "Trust, but verify."

14x7x3 IS about 2.3 cord STACKED....

if thrown into a trailer i'd expect a little less....

but i'd have to see how it was tossed in there to determine the actual load

thats if the trailer would handle that weight and it would be over 6000lbs

128 cubic feet of stacked wood is 1 cord. Lotta airspace in that trailer. Don't buy it. Buy a $350 dollar chainsaw, a $30 maul, some chain oil and some gasoline. Now get scroungin.

I had 2 cords delivered over the summer...loosely stacked as in the picture in the add. It came in a 20 foot truck, with sides about 4 feet high...stacked it, and it was 2 cords exactly. I'm thinking that trailer is 1.5 to 1.75 cords at best. Just my opinion. If you take the delivery, just get in writing from the dealer that they will make up for it if they are short...let him know you are going to stack it asap even if you are not. Good luck

At least he's up front about the fact that it's not seasoned. Now about the amount.... Stacked in that trailer, maybe; tossed in like that, no way.

Looks like nice clean wood, but as it's thrown in the trailer like it is I doubt that is anywhere near what he states. See if he will dicker, thats a lot of shine.

volumetric wise the trailer may hold 2.5 cords if it was tightly stacked, but tossed in loose like it is you loose about 40% so it may only be about 1.4 cords after you get it stacked

2.5 cords of green red oak (huh???) could weigh 9-10,000 lbs.

Doesn't look like 2.5 cords. The truck that delivered my wood was about an 16 or 18ft long, 8ft wide, and aprox 4.5ft high. There was just barely 2 cord per load. I agree with another poster, maybe about 1.5 cord,probably a little less.. As jebatty posted, thats alot of weight. I've always figured good hardwood is about 5,000+lb per cord.

I would call it 2 cord @ $200 a cord
If this is competitive with what wood is selling for in your area I would buy esp. since he says it is not seasoned seams to be truthful (better than most anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.