1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Would a fire-resistant hearth rug count as adequate floor protection???...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WestVirginian, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestVirginian

WestVirginian New Member

Hi everyone--

I'm about to install a Jotul 500 into my existing masonry fireplace (which has a SS liner in it). The fireplace has a 19-inch hearth that is flush with the oak floor. The Jotul legs will all fit on the hearth, but just barely. So I still need the required 18 inches of floor protection in front of the stove, where there is oak flooring. My question is...would I be up to code if I just throw down a fire-resistant hearth rug in front of it, covering the oak flooring? Or would this be too easy? I really don't want to put something big there. Less is more. But I do want to be safe and pass inspection.

And if the rug wouldn't be up to code, what would my options be?

Thanks for any information. Ian

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    Wont do. Not enough protection for the combustibles underneath. At the minimum you will need a stove board, or if you want something nicer there are those hearth extensions
    made out of stone or tile.There has been a recent thread on how to build a hearth pad. Try a search and you will find it.
  3. ChrisN

ChrisN Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Ct
    Ian, I bet code experts will chime in, but I don't think the Hearth rugs count as adequate floor protection. If you look in your installation manual it discusses the r-value required for floor protection; a) I bet those rugs don't meet the required r value, b) I don't think the rugs are considered noncombustibles. I think your path is going to be to install some sort of non-combustible covering, that will meet the listed minimum r-value, which I think for this stove is 0.893, such as stone/tile over cementboard, brick, etc. Also, don't forget on the Oslo you have a left-side door for loading, you will need 18" of floor protection for that opening as well.

I have the Jotul 500 (Oslo) and I love it. Happy heating!

Chris
  4. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
  5. WestVirginian

WestVirginian New Member

Sorry for being so dense, but can I ask what a stoveboard is? Is that just cement board? Or something else? Thanks. Ian
  6. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.