Would a fire-resistant hearth rug count as adequate floor protection???...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestVirginian

Nov 27, 2005
Hi everyone--

I'm about to install a Jotul 500 into my existing masonry fireplace (which has a SS liner in it). The fireplace has a 19-inch hearth that is flush with the oak floor. The Jotul legs will all fit on the hearth, but just barely. So I still need the required 18 inches of floor protection in front of the stove, where there is oak flooring. My question is...would I be up to code if I just throw down a fire-resistant hearth rug in front of it, covering the oak flooring? Or would this be too easy? I really don't want to put something big there. Less is more. But I do want to be safe and pass inspection.

And if the rug wouldn't be up to code, what would my options be?

Thanks for any information. Ian

WestVirginian said:
Hi everyone--

I'm about to install a Jotul 500 into my existing masonry fireplace (which has a SS liner in it). The fireplace has a 19-inch hearth that is flush with the oak floor. The Jotul legs will all fit on the hearth, but just barely. So I still need the required 18 inches of floor protection in front of the stove, where there is oak flooring. My question is...would I be up to code if I just throw down a fire-resistant hearth rug in front of it, covering the oak flooring? Or would this be too easy? I really don't want to put something big there. Less is more. But I do want to be safe and pass inspection.

Wont do. Not enough protection for the combustibles underneath. At the minimum you will need a stove board, or if you want something nicer there are those hearth extensions
made out of stone or tile.There has been a recent thread on how to build a hearth pad. Try a search and you will find it.

Ian, I bet code experts will chime in, but I don't think the Hearth rugs count as adequate floor protection. If you look in your installation manual it discusses the r-value required for floor protection; a) I bet those rugs don't meet the required r value, b) I don't think the rugs are considered noncombustibles. I think your path is going to be to install some sort of non-combustible covering, that will meet the listed minimum r-value, which I think for this stove is 0.893, such as stone/tile over cementboard, brick, etc. Also, don't forget on the Oslo you have a left-side door for loading, you will need 18" of floor protection for that opening as well.

I have the Jotul 500 (Oslo) and I love it. Happy heating!

Chris

HotFlame said:
WestVirginian said:
Hi everyone--

Wont do. Not enough protection for the combustibles underneath. At the minimum you will need a stove board, or if you want something nicer there are those hearth extensions
made out of stone or tile.There has been a recent thread on how to build a hearth pad. Try a search and you will find it.

Sorry for being so dense, but can I ask what a stoveboard is? Is that just cement board? Or something else? Thanks. Ian

Attachments

• DSC01113.JPG
    DSC01113.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,828
Status
Not open for further replies.