Would anyone pay 175 for a cord of hedge apple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimosufan

Aug 16, 2010
Dayton, OH
I can get a cord of ash for 100. But for 25 dollars more i could get 3 cords of ash...(all ready have one ordered) This is my 1st year burning and trying to get ahead.. Personally I don't think 1 cord of hedge would equal 2 cords of ash. but I'm in the burbs and don't have a lot of space. Plus i intend to scrounge all i can. Not to mention ash seasons very quick. Thanks for any thoughts, Jim.

That hedge would be super great for sub zero temps.......Other than that get the ash!

If I knew of any hedge close for that price,my backyard would already be full.I'd grab it if I were you.

get both... 3 cords of ash and the cord of osage. You'll use it all in one winter its likely. And they are both priced right for great firewood. Nice problem to have! (Well free would be better I guess!)

Thats real close to the top side of the average price here in the city. Its worth it. I really didn't think I would use as much as I've used in the NC-13, but I've became very comfortable with 2-3 logs per load. And found it very controllable at that.

Three cords of Ash for $125? That sounds pretty cheap. I'd buy the ash for sure, and maybe the Hedge as well $175 for a cord of hedge is a good price, too.

Wow 125.00 for 3 cords seems cheap to me you sure its for 3 cords not 3 ricks, and the osage is about as good as it gets as far as wood and your btu rating its a great wood to burn when its really cold. You might want to check a cord is 4x4x8 a rick is 2x4x8

Wood Duck said:
Three cords of Ash for $125? That sounds pretty cheap. I'd buy the ash for sure, and maybe the Hedge as well $175 for a cord of hedge is a good price, too.

I would buy 12 cord of Ash for $500 and quit spendin 1-2 days a week all winter getting wood.

Absolute no brainer. Something is missing here!!

You might want to check a cord is 4x4x8 a rick is 2x4x8

Here in Illinois, a "Rick" is 4' tall x 8' long x 16" deep (1/3 of a full cord) and sells for $75-$90

3 stacks 4' x 8' x 16" equal a cord, which sells for $225 - $270

Rob

I live across the state from you and 1 cord of ash here goes for $120.00 each I would just buy the ash if you can get it that cheap. Sounds to good to be true.

i guess that came out wrong...each cord of ash is 100 ...but for 25 dollars more (+175) what i would for spent the hedge.. so for 300 I could buy 3 cords of ash.. or for 275 have a cord of ash and hedge... sorry for the confusion

jimosufan said:
i guess that came out wrong...each cord of ash is 100 ...but for 25 dollars more (+175) what i would for spent the hedge.. so for 300 I could buy 3 cords of ash.. or for 275 have a cord of ash and hedge... sorry for the confusion

Ok I had to think about this one for a while...

So basically what your asking is:

$275 1 cord ash & 1 cord hedge

vs

$300 3 cord ash

thats a little tougher decision... personally hedge is rare enough I'd probably go for it, you can always get ash...

Ok that helps...but would 3 cords ash have more btu than a cord of ash & hedge...or the hotter fire when its cold out, trump that?

I believe the osage is by far the better wood it has the highest btu rating and it in my opinion is the best wood going I have been cutting osage for the past 3 weeks out of a fence row and I wouldn't sell any of it (guess I am greedy) ash is ok but no where close to osage.

Osage is good but 3 full cord of ash gives a lot of heat. I do not think one cord of osage can equal 2 cord of ash.

Backwoods Savage said:
Osage is good but 3 full cord of ash gives a lot of heat. I do not think one cord of osage can equal 2 cord of ash.
+1

I've never burned Osage. I have burned Ash. It's not that far off from Oak. If using one or the other makes that much diference in the appliances some of you guys run . . . maybe you need a new appliance :)

IcyDBs

I have burned a lot of hedge in 30+years of burning, and there is nothing like it. However, I think the ash is the better deal. Though if you have never burned hedge, you owe it to yourself to try it just once. It is pretty unbelievable stuff. And I have burned a lot of hickory and oak that's just behind it in the BTU charts.

stove works fine. just trying see if the hedge was worth the extra 75

tfdcheif, how long to season, is it as long as oak? Ash seasons very quick

jimosufan said:
tfdcheif, how long to season, is it as long as oak? Ash seasons very quick
2 years is best, but it burns ok after one year. Be aware though, it does throw a lot of sparks when the coals have air put to them, like when you reload. Especially if you disturb the coals much.

Status
Not open for further replies.