Would appreciate some help or advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha

Dec 3, 2013
South
Hi Guys,
This is my first post here, I was hoping to get some advice on a fireplace we renovated recently. I have researched the internet back and forth and cannot seem to find help.
I'm really not sure how old the fireplace is, I would have to guess, maybe built in 1980's. It was originally wood burning, then it was converted to a gas fireplace, due to a senior woman living alone and kids were a bit scared. When we bought the house, we transferred it back to wood burning and took the gas out. We made sure it was level, then covered the plywood box with an artificial stone sheeting. We haven't worked on it it in a year and this year I would like to have it finished for my wife as a xmas gift. I was hoping you guys could view my photos and give me some advice. Not sure if I need to add some brick or stone/fire retardant to the edges of the wood before adding the doors...etc. The chimney seems to be in great shape. I am really learning as I go and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I called the local fireplacecontractor and they cant get out here until two - three months.

Attachments

• fire1photo.JPG
    fire1photo.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 128
  • fire2photo.JPG
    fire2photo.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 146
  • fire3photo.JPG
    fire3photo.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 115
  • fire4photo.JPG
    fire4photo.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 121
  • fire5photo.JPG
    fire5photo.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 123
I hate to bare bad news, but with that wood there you have some issues. The face of the fireplace isn't suppose to have anything combustible protruding out past it. Basically in order to be right and safe, the fireplace needs to be pulled out even with the stone and the wood removed from the perimeter. Since this isn't really possible, removing all the stone and that 2x4 wall that has been added is the only option in my opinion.
Why was a new 2x4 wall framed up in front of the fireplace? It should have had cement board attached to the existing wall, then the stone attached to that.
Sorry.

ugh, the guys who were renovating my house completed this, but I thought stones or brick/fire retardant would go over it. guess not. Im guessing the 2x4 frame was added to hang up the plywood and attach the artificial stone sheeting. now, would the fireplace box need to be pulled up towards the front?

You have some serious issues with clearance to combustibles. Simply cover it in stone or some other non-combustible doesn't fix that issue. In my opinion (and take that for what its worth) - I would be looking at breaking that thing down and building it back up "correctly". I don't know the specs for your burner, but there shouldn't be wood anywhere NEAR as close as you have. Look up "pyrolysis" if you want to be scared straight.

Ok, I have some help to tear it down, build it back up correctly. The wife was asking maybe converting it back to gas. I am assuming the same would apply. Can you direct me to a good instructional book or video for framing it up for wood burning or gas?

I don't have any of those things at hand. Often the owners manual will have the info needed to make a safe surround for whatever product you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.