Would Extending the pipe help with draft and reduce back smoke when reloading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey all,

I have a Englander NC30 and lighting it can be a pain as I ALWAYS get smoke in the house as the draft is horrible. Also every time I open the stove to reload it, I get a face full of smoke. So my question is Would Extending the pipe help with draft and reduce back smoke when reloading? I currently have a 20 feet class A pipe running outside of the house. I am open to suggestions and ideas. Thanks all.

Franklin

Using a 90° elbow ? (replace with 2 45°s helps sometimes)
How much horizontal pipe? (Horizontal pipe is a "choke" to draft, should be as short as possible)
Can you turn the stove to high a few minutes before opening to get the flue pipe hot & a good draft going before you open the door. Open the door a crack & see if it's pulling air in.
A picture of the stove & pipe & one of the outside pipe would really help.

IIRC this was happening at the end of the last season too. First make sure that there are no unsealed joints. Check stove collar, it should have furnace cement sealing. Then check the pipe joints and the thimble connection and seal up any leaks there too. Outside, make sure the tee's bottom cap is sealing tightly.

I 2nd both staements above. Check all joints for leaks. Also open primary (per manual) prior to opening door.

I have a basment install with 18 ft of Class A outside and I believe it drafts to well.

Sounds like a leak maybe cooling the gases.

Franklin, on the horizontal run of pipe, did you install that with some rise to the pipe. Code usually calls for 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal. We have a couple feet of horizontal but have 1/2" rise per foot. That could possibly be the problem.

I believe that the rise in the horizontal run is just to allow any condensation from collecting on the bottom of the pipe. Raising the pipe 1/4 per foot is code, but it don't do squat to improve the strength of the draft IMHO.

Sorry BK but in this case I have to disagree. I disagree only because I've seen it make a difference. However, we usually go 1/2" rise per foot rather than 1/4".

Status
Not open for further replies.