Would fuel briquette venture be worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boardmaker said:
Spirilis,
I've done a fair amount of research and some prototyping. Here is what I can tell you. To make a briq. with hardwood sawdust, you will need roughly 24,000 psi. With that said, if the end or your briq that you are pressing against is 3x3, then you have 9 sqin. So, you will need 216,000 psi. Hardwood really does require that much pressure to get the lignin to successfully bind. I don't have softwood so I have no idea about it. Now, some presses use heat to help bind the dust so they don't need as much pressure. I don't prefer that. One, it's a fire hazard. Two, your product isn't nearly as dense. Most log splitters don't even put out 70,000psi. So lets say you have an 8" cyl. in your garage. To run it you will need a pump that will run at least 4300psi. Most log splitters top out at 3000psi. What I'm trying to say is that it will take a large cylinder and a good pump. Without 3 phase electric, it will have to run off an engine because you can't get enough hp out of single phase. I had a lot of my design built off of an ruf briquette press. And, I found out they have their infeed prepressure cylinder patented. What confuses me is that some companies have a machines that work very similar to theirs. I don't know enough about patents to know what I could legally get away with. I'm not looking for a lawsuit. If I had access to a machine shop, I would build one. I have all the basic tools. Welder, plasma, etc., but it still would require a lot of machining. The best way would be to make your cylinder part of the pressure rod. To make a reasonable priced custom cylinder would require access to a shop. I have stepped away from it for the time being. I have built some smaller prototypes with scraps rigged on a log splitter. I can make it work. But, it's not in my budget right now. And once it's built, if you find you built your infeed say to small, I would be depressed. I don't really see that being a problem, because with a plc you can change all of your timing and pressure setpoints instantly. But, as we all know there are unforseeable circumstances. If you decide to build one, or just tinker with it, let me know. I have done a lot of the hydraulic math for different combinations and such. Besides, you might have an idea I haven't thought of. I know most of this post is a let down, but if I had more time and 10 grand in my pocket. I would be ordering in parts tommorrow. It was good to see this post again. So does anyone have an idea they would like to share. I'd like to talk some more about this. I think a person could create a market for briqs. It would take a year or 2 to get where you need it to be profitable. Ya gotta start somewhere.

Cool stuff, I wasn't serious about doing anything with this but I was kind've curious what kind of machinery it would take. Over 100 tons of pressure is insane, I wonder what kind of cost you net per-brick in both fuel and machine wear & tear manufacturing those things? Another random food for thought...

Boardmaker (and Spirilis) - do you burn these bricks yourself?

Slow1 said:
Boardmaker (and Spirilis) - do you burn these bricks yourself?
I'm pretty new to wood burning, planning on using them as my main fuel source this winter for my stoves. We'll see how that goes.

boardmaker said:
Spirilis,
I've done a fair amount of research and some prototyping. Here is what I can tell you. To make a briq. with hardwood sawdust, you will need roughly 24,000 psi. With that said, if the end or your briq that you are pressing against is 3x3, then you have 9 sqin. So, you will need 216,000 psi. Hardwood really does require that much pressure to get the lignin to successfully bind. I don't have softwood so I have no idea about it. Now, some presses use heat to help bind the dust so they don't need as much pressure. I don't prefer that. One, it's a fire hazard. Two, your product isn't nearly as dense. Most log splitters don't even put out 70,000psi. So lets say you have an 8" cyl. in your garage. To run it you will need a pump that will run at least 4300psi. Most log splitters top out at 3000psi. What I'm trying to say is that it will take a large cylinder and a good pump. Without 3 phase electric, it will have to run off an engine because you can't get enough hp out of single phase. I had a lot of my design built off of an ruf briquette press. And, I found out they have their infeed prepressure cylinder patented. What confuses me is that some companies have a machines that work very similar to theirs. I don't know enough about patents to know what I could legally get away with. I'm not looking for a lawsuit. If I had access to a machine shop, I would build one. I have all the basic tools. Welder, plasma, etc., but it still would require a lot of machining. The best way would be to make your cylinder part of the pressure rod. To make a reasonable priced custom cylinder would require access to a shop. I have stepped away from it for the time being. I have built some smaller prototypes with scraps rigged on a log splitter. I can make it work. But, it's not in my budget right now. And once it's built, if you find you built your infeed say to small, I would be depressed. I don't really see that being a problem, because with a plc you can change all of your timing and pressure setpoints instantly. But, as we all know there are unforseeable circumstances. If you decide to build one, or just tinker with it, let me know. I have done a lot of the hydraulic math for different combinations and such. Besides, you might have an idea I haven't thought of. I know most of this post is a let down, but if I had more time and 10 grand in my pocket. I would be ordering in parts tommorrow. It was good to see this post again. So does anyone have an idea they would like to share. I'd like to talk some more about this. I think a person could create a market for briqs. It would take a year or 2 to get where you need it to be profitable. Ya gotta start somewhere.

I think you are twisting force and pressure all around. Let me see if I can sort this out:

To make a brick you need 24,000 psi (we'll take this as accepted fact)

3"x3" brick = 9 square inches @ 24,000 psi = 216,000 pounds force

Most log splitters don't put out 70,000 psi - this should be pounds force. 70,000 pounds force = 35 tons

Most log splitters run 3,000 psi - True as an absolute maximum, though most pop off at ~2500-2700psi to reduce stress on components you would have to multiply the hydraulic pressure by the cylinder area to get pounds force.

an 8" dia cylinder = 50 square inches x 2500 psi = 125,000 pounds force, or x 2700 psi = 135,000 pounds force

As a basic rule - it seems you're looking for 24,000 psi on your brick. Most hydraulic systems would be conservatively 2400 psi, so you would need a a hydraulic cylinder area ~ 10x the area of the brick you wish to make

cozy heat said:
boardmaker said:
Spirilis,

I think you are twisting force and pressure all around. Let me see if I can sort this out:

To make a brick you need 24,000 psi (we'll take this as accepted fact)

3"x3" brick = 9 square inches @ 24,000 psi = 216,000 pounds force

Most log splitters don't put out 70,000 psi - this should be pounds force. 70,000 pounds force = 35 tons

Most log splitters run 3,000 psi - True as an absolute maximum, though most pop off at ~2500-2700psi to reduce stress on components you would have to multiply the hydraulic pressure by the cylinder area to get pounds force.

an 8" dia cylinder = 50 square inches x 2500 psi = 125,000 pounds force, or x 2700 psi = 135,000 pounds force

As a basic rule - it seems you're looking for 24,000 psi on your brick. Most hydraulic systems would be conservatively 2400 psi, so you would need a a hydraulic cylinder area ~ 10x the area of the brick you wish to make

So you could make one by hand..... if you had a really big hydraulic press and a lot of wheaties for your crankin'.

Yes - I suppose you could - if you worked out the ratios right and didn't mind either working a lot to pump up a big hydraulic ram or a very small bio brick.

100 ton bottle jacks can be had, which would give you 200,000 pounds force - that would almost make you a 9 square inch brick @24,000 psi though jacks that big pump up pretty slowly and you'd have to take into account compressing the initial pile of sawdust down to the brick, too.

Conversely - a decent sized guy weighs ~200 pounds. If your bio-brick was .090 inch x .090 inch (.0081 square inches) and you stood on it, (200 pounds / .0081 square inches ) still about = 24,000 psi, just over a lot smaller square inches - but that would be one tiny biobrick!

No, I don't burn briquettes. If I made them, I would.

Cozy Heat,
You are correct about the force vs. pressure. You know how when things seems clear in your head, but when you explain them it's not quite correct. I like your human force analogy. So, You wanna make toothpicks. LOL. There are some nice presses out there, but they are all in Europe. And very$$$. Any more ideas?

I have a freind who is interested in making Biobricks or whatever. He has a facility, capitol and a source of waste wood. Any leads on equipment manufactures to help him start looking?

A neighbor of mine tried this in a big way in Ontario Canada. He bought a defunct particle board mill in Bancroft Ontario and set it up to produce a compressed round fireplace log, with no additives, just pressure holding them together.

I tried them in my fireplace and they were no hell. He only managed to get one big customer for his fancy logs, I believe the Rona hardware chain.

Coincidentally, shortly after his new idea was in production all kinds of similar no name unlabelled logs (likely from China) started appearing at Home depot and other chains.

His business never got off the ground and he is still looking for other uses fopr the factory.

Its a very competitive business and you may really need a good fire after you lose your shirt.

Yeah...thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.