would it be a sin? chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I'm building a shed from salvaged lumber from a shed on the family farm. It's further along than these pics show. I'm thinking about putting a stove in it, but don't want to defeat the purpose of a cheap project by throwing 600 bucks worth of chimney parts into the thing. Would it be the biggest sin in the world to use something other than class A above the corrugated metal roof. Also, I saw some high temp flashing deals for this kind of roof, would that be doable? I just need a couple of feet of chimney to make this work. I don't have any inspectors to deal with, but I still don't wanna burn my shed down. Total run of pipe from top of stove (whatever that ends up being) to the roof would be somewhere around 8 feet. I guess I could go out the back of the shed, but only if there is a cheap solution for a thimble there.

any advice. Remember this is just a shed, no use specified to it yet, but likely will be some sort of "man cave" and not a workshop or anything.

Here are some pictures of the "Phoenix" going up:

Attachments

• DSCN0746Small.jpg
    DSCN0746Small.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 690
  • DSCN0747Small.jpg
    DSCN0747Small.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 651
If you don't do it right, that "Phoenix" might return to the ashes sooner than you hope.

pgmr said:
If you don't do it right, that "Phoenix" might return to the ashes sooner than you hope.
lol, i figured someone might say something to that effect. But seriously, since it's through a metal roof I figured I'd have a little leeway with thimbles and such, and since the total length isn't that great I figured that the short run of galvanized or stove pipe over the roof wouldn't be a HUGE issue, although lifespan of the pipe might be shorter than I'd like exposed to the weather and all.

I don't really post much but I know you will get razzed pretty good for this. So here is my .02. Give yourself plenty of room between the rafters and it should be fine with stove pipe. Don't leave the stove unattended, don't load it for hellfire, make sure you set it on cement board so the floor is protected and enjoy your man cave.

stinger440 said:
I don't really post much but I know you will get razzed pretty good for this.
oh yeah, i didn't go into this post blind, lol. I know I'm running the risk of someone stopping in to tell me the whole town will burn down if I don't use XX setup and to also make sure that i use wood that has seasoned for X years and was properly cut using a $3,000 chainsaw.

I can weed through the anal suggestions well enough to get a good understanding of what really needs to be done to be safe. I'm not willing to throw safety completely out the window because something has worked well enough for someone for years - I know a ticking timebomb when I see one, I'm just trying to figure out what is a convenience issue (cleaning it often) or efficiency issue (draw isn't good) or a safety issue (metal roof transfers heat better than I expect to nearby rafters) - those are just some examples of what i'm looking for here.

Be careful even inside with regular stove pipe. it may not have enough clearance from the rafters to no cause them to burn down the road.
Have you tried looking on craigs list for some used class A? We have a local set it type paper round here called the "Paper shopper" or something like that. It usually has a few adds for used pipe for sale.
Worst case scenario, maybe box out a chase on the roof and run the pipe up inside it with proper clearances. Maybe a short length of s.s. liner with some insulation?
You can do whatever you want. And you already know both sides of the answers your going to get here. I am not a pro on code, so won't even try and quote it.
Bottom line is a safe install. Would suck to build that, then be burning, get a phone call and run to the house for a minute, and return to the shed blazing away.
I think single wall needs 18" from combustibles, not sure your going to have that much between two rafters. Even 24" on center rafters won't give you that.
Common sense is the main factor here. Use your best judgment, and I am sure you will be fine.

Here is my consideration:

If I build it I want heat in it.
If I want heat in it I want to drink beer in it.
If I want to drink beer in it I may want to take a nap in it.
If I take a nap in it I don't want the @#%$@# thing burning down around me!

If it were me, I'd build a masonry chimney. Really they aren't that expensive and it'd be a good learning experience if you have never done one before.

pen

Rafters are 48 on center, lol. How's that for a hefty building? there's virtually no sub-roof weight, just some horizontal 1" boards to give the roof something to screw into. Weight of corrugated metal is minimal and the slope means there shouldn't be a lot of snow sitting on it. Figured I could get by with that spacing since they are 2x6s.

I'd love to do a masonry chimney, especially with an exterior brick that matches my house's. I've done enough brickwork that I'd feel comfortable doing this, but I just don't have access to that amount of brick right now, nor the proper clay liner. Remember this is a MOSTLY salvaged structure. Good idea though, and it sure would be cool.

If you build the shed high enough, all you need is a fire pit outside the shed, on the side away from the house and out of site from the old lady.

Danno77 said:
I'd love to do a masonry chimney, especially with an exterior brick that matches my house's. I've done enough brickwork that I'd feel comfortable doing this, but I just don't have access to that amount of brick right now, nor the proper clay liner. Remember this is a MOSTLY salvaged structure. Good idea though, and it sure would be cool.

clay liner is cheap enough. Build it of concrete chimney blocks (also cheap enough) and face w/ brick someday down the road. Lots of chimneys are of this construction.

In reality, you are only talking a few tile liners and a few blocks. There is no reason you need to go ground to finished height with chimney block. Since this is a shed, I'd build a platform for the block to start somewhere up higher in the building. Lots of old school houses and the like were built this way. Basically, it's a platform footer up in the air. You could do this as high as you want (running single wall pipe up to it) so long as you maintain the 18in clearance of single wall to combustables.

If what I am suggesting hasn't clicked yet, you could start your chimney on your rafters assuming you support the bottom side. The chimeny would be completely interior. The only part needed brick would be what sticks up above the center of the ridge.

This would be dirt cheap.

pen

I'm no artist but here is my attempt at a visual aid.

pen

10209021.gif

Pen,
I'm following you now. I need to do some staring and thinking, but you are probably onto something. cinder blocks are something that I have access to from another salvage pile on the farm. Just trying to imagine it.

I could build a ground-up support on the shed's end, then a couple of feet from the roof peak I could make a platform, build what I need with liner and masonry that would extend above the roof. So, could I use the same siding I have planned for the shed around the support system? what about around the cinder blocks? maybe just to the roofline and then only masonry above?, what would clearance to combustibles be on a cinder block surrounding a clay liner?

thanks for these ideas....

Actually lots of sheds have had stoves in them for centuries and didn't burn down. Just put a vaulted ceiling box around the pipe to keep it from charring the roof rafters. Like what happened with the "professionally installed" pipe with my first stove in my house in 1977. Use double wall above the roof line.

But do it better than the Webmaster did with the tool shed in W. Virginia which in fact did burn down. :lol:

I was talking about building a chimney like this using actual chimney block above the rafter line (this pic starts at the ground, you'd start at the rafters)

(note, this is not me, this is some random dude from the net at Shanepotter.com)

Chimney_9.gif

I've seen chimney made out of cap blocks but never straight cinder blocks. If you are going to vary from the standard chimney block like is seen below, then you'd be doing your own creative thing.

pen

ChimneyBlock.jpg

BrotherBart said:
Actually lots of sheds have had stoves in them for centuries and didn't burn down. Just put a vaulted ceiling box around the pipe to keep it from charring the roof rafters. Like what happened with the "professionally installed" pipe with my first stove in my house in 1977. Use double wall above the roof line.

But do it better than the Webmaster did with the tool shed in W. Virginia which in fact did burn down. :lol:

Pardon the pun but that is one hell of a burn :)

pen

pen said:
BrotherBart said:

pen

Yeah when he told that story he promised to tell about the other places he had burned down but he never did.

Not only my moderator privileges but my ID may be gone by sunup. :lol:

Danno77 said:
Pen,
I'm following you now. I need to do some staring and thinking, but you are probably onto something. cinder blocks are something that I have access to from another salvage pile on the farm. Just trying to imagine it.

I could build a ground-up support on the shed's end, then a couple of feet from the roof peak I could make a platform, build what I need with liner and masonry that would extend above the roof. So, could I use the same siding I have planned for the shed around the support system? what about around the cinder blocks? maybe just to the roofline and then only masonry above?, what would clearance to combustibles be on a cinder block surrounding a clay liner?

thanks for these ideas....

Clearance is ZERO if done using the method shown in the earlier picture. Think about most homes with a plywood roof and an interior chimney, plywood comes right up to the chimney and then flashing keeps water from seeping in.

pen

BrotherBart said:
pen said:
BrotherBart said:

pen

Yeah when he told that story he promised to tell about the other places he had burned down but he never did.

Not only my moderator privileges but my ID may be gone by sunup. :lol:

Your legacy shall linger however! Perhaps this was a better roast than a burn!

Might as well laugh at our lessons learned. We all have them.

pen

I don't see where your getting 600 dollars from? I just installed a Class A through the rough of my house following all code and it came to $500. and that's with 12ft of Class A.

here is my thoughts.

Place the stove in the back of the shed slightly offset from the peak. run single wall straight up till about 1ft from the roof as close to the peak to maxiumize the use of the single wall. then run 1 or maybe 2 pieces of class A 3ft each. that will give you ad-quit clearance to any rafter and such, and insulate the pipe to prevent creosote. I can't imagine spending more then 300 in pipe and flashing. And that is buying all new. Hit up craigslist and you will be closer to 150.

I am a firm believer that codes bend well as long as you use your head. My biggest gripe with anything other then insulated pipe outside is extreme creosote buildup that could lead to poor draft and a good potential for a chimney fire.

I am not here to judge, nor give good advice, only hear to voice my opinion.

After seeing that video with the guy using dryer flex pipe for a chimney... I'm beginning to wonder if we're all just over engineering! (just kidding everyone) Shoot, I'd try it if you've got it. You never know... it may work great and safely. If not then you aren't out much except the experience.

drdoct said:
After seeing that video with the guy using dryer flex pipe for a chimney... I'm beginning to wonder if we're all just over engineering! (just kidding everyone) Shoot, I'd try it if you've got it. You never know... it may work great and safely. If not then you aren't out much except the experience.

That will depend on what you put in the new shed! I've never known anyone to build a shed for the fun of doing so. I'm more familiar with building a shed to fill it!

pen

pen said:
I was talking about building a chimney like this using actual chimney block above the rafter line (this pic starts at the ground, you'd start at the rafters)

That's a lot of weight to be hanging up in the rafters. Every masonry chimney I've ever seen has a foundation in the ground.

pgmr said:
pen said:

That's a lot of weight to be hanging up in the rafters. Every masonry chimney I've ever seen has a foundation in the ground.

It could be supported and similar setups have been done time and time again. Think every older home with a second floor fire place had it start in the basement and work up? We aren't talking 30 blocks here. It can be supported, but you are right, regardless, it needs to be supported well.

The easy solution would be to do this with a couple pieces of the double wall insulated pipe. Might only take a couple of sections, wouldn't be heavy and would be effective.

pen

Wanna drive to Ala-bam-er? I've got a Metalbestos chimney system (cathedral ceiling mounting) that I'll let you have real cheap! Be perfect for you!

dougand3 said:
Wanna drive to Ala-bam-er? I've got a Metalbestos chimney system (cathedral ceiling mounting) that I'll let you have real cheap! Be perfect for you!
will it fit in the backseat of my brother's car? he'll be coming up to see me sometime in october. He lives in Birmingham...

Status
Not open for further replies.