Would like to cut wood here! (pics of my ATV trip)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
OK, all you guys with the beautiful places to cut wood....I got to go on a ATV riding trip to Huntsville TN, Broomstone Recreational Park. I spent a lot of time marveling at the country-side and wishing I could cut wood there. I saw a lot of wood burners and wood stacks and sheds. Any of you live near Huntsville TN ?

Attachments

• IMG_20101228_114712_2.jpg
    IMG_20101228_114712_2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC03815_2.jpg
    DSC03815_2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC03818_2.jpg
    DSC03818_2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 474
tfdchief, looks like you had a nice trip also some nice pics. In the second picture what type of trees do you think they are.

zap

happy new year

And here is a few 4-wheeling pics

Attachments

• DSC03850_2.jpg
    DSC03850_2.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC03838_2.jpg
    DSC03838_2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC03840_2.jpg
    DSC03840_2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 476
zapny said:
tfdchief, looks like you had a nice trip also some nice pics. In the second picture what type of trees do you think they are.

zap

happy new year
Zap, I saw White oak, Beech, hickory, pine, sycamore, birch, walnut, and a lot of others. Not sure what those small ones are. That was an area that was growing back after being clear cut. Steve

tfdchief said:
zapny said:

zap

happy new year
Zap, I saw White oak, Beech, hickory, pine, sycamore, birch, walnut, and a lot of others. Not sure what those small ones are. That was an area that was growing back after being clear cut. Steve

Steve the first picture from your second post of pictures looks like it could be a back killer.

zap

It was, especially for an old man like me! My son and his buddy didn't seem to mind, but I had a lot of fun despite the pain :ahhh: Check this one, we had to winch up this one. And here are the 2 young bucks. :)

Attachments

• DSC03830_2.jpg
    DSC03830_2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 460
  • DSC03833_2.jpg
    DSC03833_2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_20101229_132240_2.jpg
    IMG_20101229_132240_2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 434
tfdchief said:
It was, especially for an old man like me! My son and his buddy didn't seem to mind, but I had a lot of fun despite the pain :ahhh: Check this one, we had to winch up this one. And here are the 2 young bucks. :)

Thats a steep hill, for winching did you use a tree saver,snatch block and a d-shackle? Also what size winch did you use/

zap

Thats a steep hill, for winching did you use a tree saver,snatch block and a d-shackle? Also what size winch did you use/

zap
Yes to all. We all have 3000 # winches on the front and will basically lift them vertically :exclaim:

tfdchief said:

zap
Yes to all. We all have 3000 # winches on the front and will basically lift them vertically :exclaim:
Here is the set up.

Attachments

• DSC03827_2.jpg
    DSC03827_2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 457
Looks like a good place to have some fun.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like a good place to have some fun.
Dennis, it was a great time and beautiful country, but I would have rather been able to cut wood there than what I was doing....still enjoyed the beauty though. We have few areas around here that have timber or any elevation change.

You are right about the elevation change. Not much here either so it is nice to go to those places every once in a while. That is one of the reasons I like to crew in RAAM too is because I get to see a lot of different areas and naturally, they route the riders through the toughest terrain. That gets you into some beautiful country.

Status
Not open for further replies.