Would never buy a vermount casting product again over warranty issues.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diodeduster

Dec 24, 2008
warminster pa
I purchased a Montpelier wood insert last year and had it installed in oct by american chimney for a total cost of 4,094.00. The problem i have is the bottom firebrick has a crack in the middle and can be seen on both sides that spans almost the widith. The firebick in the back has a crack forming also in the middle about 3 to 4 inches in length. I called the dealer (american chimney) 3 x and went to there store 2 x to show them the botton piece and it was a back and forth battle between them and monessen as 2 is going to take care of the problem. Finally american chimney setup a service call on monday between 8-9am to come out to my house but they never showed not even a phone call. today i called Monessen and explained the whole story again this time not so nice . there warranty means nothing because they wont take care of it nor will another dealer that sells vermont castings stoves because i did not buy it there. Monessen gave me the phone number of the sales rep for the eastern region and i called him today and left a msg to call me back but he never did. I filed a complaint with the better bussiness bureau against the dealer to try and get a refund for the stove because i am fed up that a warranty means nothing neither does the dealer stand behind what he sells.

I think you are over reacting as far as the unit and the manufacturer. It sounds like the dealer did you wrong by not showing up. I would never make an excuse for that, but unfortunately it does happen. Some dealers subcontract their installations.

But even given that, cracks in a firebrick are usually not a big deal. In fact, in most situations like yours I would suggest doing nothing.....and/or, getting the replacement part and setting it aside. Most refractory develops cracks - and in most cases it can be used for many years after.

Cracks in the firebrick, seriously? Like the regular removable firebricks in most any stove? I would never recommend VC to anyone for many reasons, but the failure of a firebrick is normal. That's why they are easy to replace and cheap from any stove shop.

Now if this is some sort of super duper special internal proprietary component that is not supposed to be replaced then that's different.

My last stove had firebricks and I expected to replace one or more every year or two.

Geeze, I'd be happy with just a crack in the fire brick...its freaking brick. I'm having my unit taken out tomorrow for 3 different cracks in the steel and welds.
I guess I am a lot more calm/patient than I thought I was :)

The stuff in those inserts is full width custom cast refractory bottom, back and sides. Gotta cost a ton. Everybody always worries about what a cat would cost to replace but misses stuff like that.

Happiness is a stove full of $2.50 bricks.

firebrick may have cracks in them from the moment they leave the kiln , most cases they will be small and not a problem , however if they are large and could break through they will do so fairly soon , this isnt a hazard at all unless they cannot stay in place, and even then the stove isnt going to blow up , if the bricks are floor bricks they arent an immediate issue , a wall brick may fall out of place and probably should be at least swapped for an intact floor brick if same size , as for replacement i dont see why its such a big deal. they arent expensive and any dealer worth his salt should have them on his shelf. the dealer should have brought you replacements or had the factory ship them to you , as for installing them , its easier than changing a light bulb. i'd call again on the dealer and ask again if he is going to get them to you, and call the rep and simply ask if you can have replacements shipped to you if the dealer isnt doing anything about it himself.

that said i dont think it reflects as badly on the manufacturer as much as a particular dealer. VC has always produced quality product and in what ive seen in the past resolved issues. had it been one of my stoves you would have had to make 1 phone call and i'd have had the bricks sitting on your doorstep in 3 days. different sales model though, i will say this in closing if the dealer that sold you the stove isnt going to come off a couple of 2 dollar bricks it doesnt say much for his service if somthing else is needed down the road.

BrotherBart said:
The stuff in those inserts is full width custom cast refractory bottom, back and sides. Gotta cost a ton. Everybody always worries about what a cat would cost to replace but misses stuff like that.

Happiness is a stove full of $2.50 bricks.

ohhhh well refractory panels are different they shouldnt have cracks like that. sheds a different light on it, i thougt we were dealing with basic firebrick. there should be something done about that though its not a danger situation even with the refractory being cracked as long as it stays in place

And what makes it worse is that they have insulation panels behind each piece of refractory on the sides and bottom. Which by definition has some give to it so wood impacting the refractory, which can then flex due to the insulation behind it, is gonna crack. The one in the back just gets beat up from splits smacking into it.

Is there any place online i can purchase the refactory lining or firebrick because i am wore out getting nothing but the runaround from the dealer and the manufactor they dont want to help. thanks Ed

stovepartsplus.com seems to be able to get parts from VC. They don't list your stove's parts online but give them a call.

Personally I wouldn't replace the stuff just yet. Narrow cracks aren't going to affect the stoves performance. Heck stoves with regular brick in them have spaces between the bricks.

No worries as others have said . . . cracked firebricks are not a big deal . . . and if you're really concerned they're typically not that expensive to replace.

Based on what I've heard about VC and their warrantee (or lack thereof) I steered well away from this line . . . but in this case I don't think a cracked firebrick reflects poorly on the company since I view this as a wear item -- an item that is bound to need to be replaced sooner or later dependoing on the amount of usage and how the stove is loaded. As for the regional rep not calling you back right away . . . not to make excuses . . . but I will . . . perhaps he was out of the office, on vacation, etc. Give him another day or two if you still feel as if you have some valid complaints.

diodeduster said:
I filed a complaint with the better bussiness bureau against the dealer to try and get a refund for the stove because i am fed up that a warranty means nothing neither does the dealer stand behind what he sells.

Big mistake there. BBB is a serious waste of your time. They're paid by the company, therefore take the company's side 100% of the time unless its seriously egregious. All the company has to do is say "I tried to make it right" and the BBB says "company made reasonable attempt to fix problem and customer would not accept, case closed." Good luck with your problem.

To put anyone's mind further at ease on this, the Shenandoah stove I bought in 1975 is lined with firebrick, a couple of which have been cracked through for probably 20 years. I've never replaced them and they work fine. The Rais stove/oven I bought in 1992 also has a couple of cracked bricks in the walls, again no problem.

The montpelier uses refractory not firebrick. Much more expensive to fix. Just the back piece retails at about 40 bucks. Now multiply that by four to replace the bottom and sides. It should be under warranty though.

Just to update the status of my dilemma i called Monessen and let them have it because after all a warranty is a warranty regardless where i bought it. they gave the number of the sales rep for the east coast. i called him and he wanted pix of the cracked pieces emailed to him and he said he would take care of it including replacing my noisy fan which starts to make a loud humming noise after the stove is on for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.