Would Replacing My Current Taco 007s with the Variable Speed Delta Ts Do Any Good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I have two heating zones with Taco 007s. Would just swapping them out with the new Tacos with the variable speed delta T capability (or equivalent) do any good? What should the delta T be set to?

A 007 will draw 80 watts while it runs. A comparable B&G Ecocirc, Grundfos Alpha, Wilo Stratos, or Taco HEC-2 ECM pump would draw no more than 45 watts, more likely 10 watts, because, for a typical zone, normally a low flow/low detaP/high deltaT setting will do the trick.

Calculate hours per day per pump and multiply by watts times dollars per watt-hour times days per year and you'll know dollars per pump per year, then you'll know the economic benefit to weigh against the price of a new pump.

As for HEC-2 deltaT setting, tuning a hydronic circuit so that it 'works' is virtually foolproof. You can only pump about so many gpm down each skinny pipe. Any deltaT setting from 5 up to 40 would likely get the job done. Start with a high setting and if the pump runs forever and the zone never quite gets up to temperature then try a lower setting. A deltaP pump will do the same job as well or better without the need to monkey around with temperature sensors.

Last edited:
I thought about it more. I can see the value of the continuously variable speed pumps with zone valves. Not so sure about a circ for each circuit. Which of course begs the question, circ pumps or zone valves? But they will be more efficient and can be tuned for the desired flow. When I was looking at baseboard specs, they all gave btu/hr/foot numbers for 1 gpm, which seems like a standard, and 4 gpm. The gain usually wasn't too much going from 1 to 4. I'll be working with a buffer tank that won't get much below 140 or so, I recon. Anyway, I think Bob Rohr opined on another thread that flow meters were a good thing, and maybe I could add a couple of those to tune the pumps. (Have no idea what that entails). I am getting some kind of flow noise right after the first elbow into the 1st floor baseboard, so I figure maybe the flow is high and I can use a tunable pump and dial into 1 gpm. Plus, if I ever installed the Heating Edge baseboard, I could dial that circuit into the 1.5 gpm it requires.
I'm sort of resigned that the system will continue to be on/off but still want to maximize efficiency, yet still have a reliable system.
The pump I was originally referring to was the delta T variable speed flavor of the Taco 007: http://www.pexsupply.com/Taco-007-VDTF5-007-Variable-Speed-Delta-T-Cast-Iron-Circulator-Pump-115V

How about replacement delta t pumps for the zones and a delta p pump for the boilers to buffer tank? The boiler would feed the zones when a circ zone is on and the tank is depleted; I can see maybe some more variable flows that a delta p pump could react to, plus providing economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.