Would this be a fair offer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dianne, what part of the Berkshires do you live in. I have a brother just over the border of mass not far from Jiminy Peak and Pittsfield. He burns also and is always looking for some wood. He might be interested in assisting. might get your husband back out in the woods.

cass

I have a young neighbor has his own saw , we both cut and load.
I supply the tractor and wagon 50/50 split.
He uses and maintains my spliter and tractor.

PS he is a Mechanical Engineneer, and has a strong back.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/stewardship/forestry/service/index.htm

thanks to everyone that responded. I am going to take advanatage of the free forest eval. offered by the Massachsetts forestry service. I am interested in what kind of forest I have and if there are ways to do selective cutting to improve the forest. The may do a mini eval and then refer me on to a licensed forester for a forest plan if the state forester believes a plan will help. Hate to think we would be out there willy nilly cutting down the easiest trees to get to which might happen if we brought in someone else to help cut. Cass - we are a bit south of Pittsfield in Franklin County.
I did not know there were so many forrest types...this list is pretty lenghty. I think mine is
HH.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/stewardship/forestry/service/documents/appendix_C.pdf

(all you foresters will have a good chuckle at my ignorance ...go ahead, I can take it. LOL

Reactions: Realstone
Funny you should ask about this. Growing up about 30 years ago I would help my dad and uncles cut and split wood on private property (I was a very young lad then) and we fell the trees, cut, and split a load of wood for the owner for every load we took off the property. We did this for several years and fed at least 3 wood stoves at about 4-5 cords each. That was back in the day before us scroungers have become spoiled with the free wood available BUT... You can place an ad for someone to cut and split for you what they take out and see if you have any takers, from there if you get no reply after a while you can move the scale to favor the other people? Good luck!

That's pretty much what Dad & I did with the older neighboring farmer my parent's bought their acreage from in 1981.Soon afterwards the older couple needed wood for their add-on furnace,they had 60 acres of timber easy access with plenty of standing snags & deadfall scattered all over.The farmer didnt like cutting wood what with all his other work on the farm,Dad & I could cut any & all the dead we wanted,keep 1 load for us,dump 1 load unsplit through their open basement window where the furnace was located every few weeks when needed.At one time I had 35 full cord split & stacked in processing area,I had much more stamina then. >> Dad would match me split for split,using that Monster Maul.

Pretty good deal for all of us,I was just out of high school & not even in my prime yet,Dad was a little past 50 & in good shape still.That went on until the couple died in the mid -late '90's & their 160 acre farm was sold,split into 3 parcels & we lost access.Now for almost 10 yrs its just me keeping parent's 10 acres neat & tidy,99% of all the felling,bucking,hauling,splitting & stacking is done by me alone.Dad still likes to sharpen a chain once in a while,bring me a cool drink,pick up a few smaller sticks & watch me work.But the days of him doing 'heavy'work are past.I treasure these quiet moments we still have together,they wont be around much longer as we get older.

That's pretty much what Dad & I did with the older neighboring farmer my parent's bought their acreage from in 1981.Soon afterwards the older couple needed wood for their add-on furnace,they had 60 acres of timber easy access with plenty of standing snags & deadfall scattered all over.The farmer didnt like cutting wood what with all his other work on the farm,Dad & I could cut any & all the dead we wanted,keep 1 load for us,dump 1 load unsplit through their open basement window where the furnace was located every few weeks when needed.At one time I had 35 full cord split & stacked in processing area,I had much more stamina then. >> Dad would match me split for split,using that Monster Maul.

Pretty good deal for all of us,I was just out of high school & not even in my prime yet,Dad was a little past 50 & in good shape still.That went on until the couple died in the mid -late '90's & their 160 acre farm was sold,split into 3 parcels & we lost access.Now for almost 10 yrs its just me keeping parent's 10 acres neat & tidy,99% of all the felling,bucking,hauling,splitting & stacking is done by me alone.Dad still likes to sharpen a chain once in a while,bring me a cool drink,pick up a few smaller sticks & watch me work.But the days of him doing 'heavy'work are past.I treasure these quiet moments we still have together,they wont be around much longer as we get older.
That's cool. Memories like that don't fade. My son & I work together and are building memories like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.