Would this setup be adequate/safe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the space under the older kictchen/berooms/living room is a full unfinished basement. there are two 4'x4' cutouts about 4' off the ground to connect the basement and crawl space

Have you considered installing the stove in this space and finishing it later? The heat would come up the centrally located stairwells.

You would also have a taller chimney to insure that you have adequate draft. If there is a basement window you could convert it to a wood chute.

I do not see any registers/returns. What type of heat do you have? Oil fired boiler? How does it circulate?

MnDave

MnDave, it is an oil fired boiler with baseboard heating. I've thought about the install in the basement but I was afraid that might make the chimney too tall and cause problems, no? I'll have to measure it out and see.

chimney too tall and cause problems, no? I'll have to measure it out and s

Without knowing how your roof-lines are configured I would only be guessing how tall of a chimney you are looking at.

A 25 foot chimney is the start of tall IMO. Figure 10 foot a story plus 5.

MnDave

Status
Not open for further replies.