1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Would this thing work?

Post in 'The Gear' started by velvetfoot, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Doubtful.

I don't see how you could generate enough force to match even a weak swing with a 6-lb maul.

It might split the straight-grained chunk in the pic, in other words, but not anything you're likely to encounter under actual battlefield conditions.
  3. zzr7ky

zzr7ky Minister of Fire

They are not good. Eric is right on the money. Mine gets no use. My former honey from NYC bought it.

Mike P
  4. RoosterBoy

RoosterBoy New Member

Loc:
    CT
    the way the describe the thing. makes it looks like a big scam it's almost like with this tool you'll never need a wood splitter ever again
    i would not buy it.

thanks
    Jason
  5. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  6. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    That thing wouldnt work on frozen Maple

Put a suction cup on it and pull dents out of cars with it.
  7. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    A point the WoodWiz makes is that you can position it accurately to take advantage of any checking.
  8. BikeMedic2709

BikeMedic2709 New Member

Loc:
    North-Central Ohio
    I have often wondered about these things. Guess I now know.
  9. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    The manual splitter that I own is a variation of the ones above although I think it's designed a little better. http://www.firewood-splitter.com/
    You'd be suprised at the downward force you can generate with a 7lb head. I use mine mainly for smaller stuff that I could split with my 6lb maul. It's more of a time saver than anything, and I also use mine to make kindling.
    If you are a person that (for some reason) cannot swing a maul, and don't want to pony up a few hundred for one of the cheaper (electric) splitters, these things are worth a look.
    Not everyone is a big burly man like some of you guys...

just some thoughts...
  10. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Oh god, my neighbors 2 houses away use that to split rounds instead of a splitting maul. I heard a noise one afternoon - clink-clink-clink-clink-clink all afternoon. I wander down and there she is dropping the head about 20 times and getting nowhere. It must work but seemed to be taking her an amazing number of hits to actually crack a log. They seemed very proud of it though, although I never saw it split anything while I stood there and watched. They have amazing patience and don't appear to burn much wood. clink-clink-clink-clink-clink-clink-clink-clink-clink-clink
  11. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    Ya...the splitting power is directly proportionate to how hard you can "throw" that weight down at the wood. I don't imagine you'd get too far just dropping it. I generally use both hands and throw that baby HARD. But...for most of my splitting it's the 6lb maul and wedges.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.