Would this upset you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he definitely sounds like an a** to be sure

I'm going to take the other side. My two points:

1) There are plenty of reasons why he would say no. If she is anything like my girl, the wife probably wants things done her way, on her schedule and as cleanly as possible. And she is willing to pay more for it if it's done that way.
2) He didn't take anything from you or harm you in any way. In reality, you are in the exact same condition now as you were before you stepped into his house, so I don't see how you can complain at all.

I've seen tiny, meaningless things like this cause families a crazy amount of trouble. I'd completely forget about it. They are his tress to do as he wishes.

I disagree, I see plenty of reason to be upset.

It would be the same if I was throwing away an old dining room chair, and not only a stranger, but a family member said "Hey, I could really use that chair, we have a spare table downstairs and I have been looking for some extra chairs, do you mind if I have that instead of you throwing it away?"

Then I proceed to say "no" and walk out and toss it into the back of the garbage truck and have them crush with the hydraulics. I mean could you blame me? My wife told me to throw it out, not give it away.

Plus he shouldn't even be mad and should completely understand. He is in the exact same position he was before he ever asked me for the chair.

Last edited:
Reactions: brant2000
I have been fortunate to have a few friends and neighbors whom have had tree work done and offered me the wood. Typically, they do get a small price discount from the Tree company. I ALWAYS make it a top priority to get the wood out of their yard immediately. The only reservation I have felt about having me take the wood is the fear that I would procrastinate and it would sit there for days, weeks, for ever.... I make sure I tell them before hand my exact plans so they know what to expect then I work real hard to exceed. I had one elderly neighbor who I could tell was very worried about this and called me multiple times to be sure I knew when his tree guy would be there and done. The tree guy finished at dark on a Friday night. My buddy and I arrived at 8am Saturday and took out approx 2 cords of oak by 1pm. Then raked and blew the mess that was left behind. The guy actually came out and said he and his wife were talking about how much they should tip us. I'm sure the next time he has tree work I'll be on his speed dial.

Yes, it would irritate me. If you are really just a mile away maybe the tree service would be willing to dump it at your place rather than haul it farther away. Even tree services that sell firewood are often more interested in disposing of the wood locally rather than haul it to their yard. They have tons of wood and make most of their money by getting trees cut and hauled away quickly, not by hoarding firewood. I might stop by and ask the tree service, just as might ask a tree service cutting at a stranger's house.

Line you up a better scrounge, like white or red oak, have it loaded up, then stop by his house to shoot the bull while looking at your new score.::-)

Reactions: bobdog2o02
Status
Not open for further replies.