1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

would this work as a battery backup ?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by francis.g, Sep 12, 2011.

1. DBCOOPER

DBCOOPER Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    Check the wiring diagram carefully on the 491 and you will see that the control contacts are not isolated but tie to the 120 supply circuit.

Never mind I misread the diagram. It will work.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. richkorn

richkorn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Might be cheaper to add some vertical rise to venting. Natural draft = no smoke in house.
  3. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Oregon
    Wiring this up so that it will power the stove through an orderly shutdown seems like a good idea.

This said, I have three different Pellet stoves here at my place and have had power outages that effected all of them at one time or another.

All of our stoves are direct vented (without a tall stack) and to date we have never had any issues with smoke in the house after an outage.

Maybe some models of stoves are more prone to smoking back into the room under this sort of condition but I have not seen it.

If you have a tall chimney, the natural draft should take care of venting the stove until the fire is out.

Good luck with the Gizmo.

Snowy
  4. DBCOOPER

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    Good for you. That has not been my experience. When I'm finished I'll be able to leave the stove unattended without worry of power glitches and I'll be able to run it on any generator all without having to worry about the quanity or quality of the utility. Plus its fun.
  5. DBCOOPER

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    Just watched it go thru 3 power hits. Ups kicked in and worked perfectly.