Would this work as a line conditioner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Apr 4, 2009
USA
hi all, I'm picking up my harman p 68 next week and while I don't see running it until this fall I would like to get it hooked up and ready to go. My situation is this. Where I live we sometimes have power interruption's. During high winds or a storm the lights will flicker or the power will go out for a moment or two. In extreme conditions we have lost the power for a day or more. I also do woodworking as a hobby and sometimes when I turn on my woodworking tools the lights dim for a second. I have a portable generator to handle long power outages but I need something to handle short term power glitches and to provide consistent clean power to the stove. I know harman sells a battery backup but for around $500 plus the battery, this seems a bit much.
looking around I see staples sells APC back-ups for computers that have limited battery backup and are suppose to provide consistent, cleaned up power. They are a lot less than $500 and would seem to do what I need. However, not being an expert I thought it would be smart to get your opinions on this. So do you think this type of set up would work and do what I need, or should I be looking at something different.
thanks for your help
JB

With the fairly low power consumption of pellet stoves most computer backup power supplies like the APC consumer units will do the job just fine in brownout conditions and even short total power loses.

JBMAINE,

Before you purchase, do a little more research, and search other threads on this site for information about power backup solutions.

Many pellet stove motors need a "pure sine wave" power source to operate properly. Many of the APC units will not supply pure sine wave power, only modified sine wave power.

I have an APC unit on my Lopi Leyden. The power draw would not be an issue, but the blower motors will not run on the modified sine wave power supplied by the APC unit. It is basically an expensive surge protector.

Old Ranger

Thanks for the info. Can I assume that regular household current is "pure sine" and is there something else I should be looking at to do what I want that won't cost big $$$.
Sorry if these questions are somewhat simplistic, I am a pure novice when it comes to electricity.
Thanks
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.