Would this work to cover wood pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised no one has suggested contacting a couple of local commercial roofing contractors and asking if they have an offcut of membrane roofing material (often EPDM, but there are other materials out there) of suitable size from one of their jobs that you could buy. There are some really superb fabric reinforced materials out there that are often used as reservoir covers, etc. Google "membrane roofing" and look for local contacts.

I personally have used three reinforced composite materials: butylene, EPDM, and Teflon (like the roof on the Georgia Dome).

Good luck.

ksting said:
Is it just me, or is she flipping the bird in that picture?
:lol: ....ummm...no! Isn't that the universal sign of "hey look at these woodpiles!?"

Whats wrong with Visqueen? Last year I had some 4 mil on one of my piles held down with some splits. Seems to have worked fine. That was my plan for this year. Is there a reason I shouldnt?

Regular poly vapour barrier does not have UV resistance. You're lucky it survived the Winter. The poly with UV resistance is much more expensive. I've seen a neighbor's poly crumble into small bits when flexed in the cold. The damn pieces blew all over my yard and a small dusting of snow hid them. Stepping on one of them would send me head over heels.

kenny chaos said:
Sell the damn wood and be done with it.
Good idea. First I need to get a debarker, a kiln dryer, and a firewood processor. I'll use the bark waste to fuel the kiln and then a shrink wrap machine on the end of the firewood processor to make those bundles of heat treated firewood that won't get quarantined.

LLigetfa said:
Regular poly vapour barrier does not have UV resistance. You're lucky it survived the Winter. The poly with UV resistance is much more expensive. I've seen a neighbor's poly crumble into small bits when flexed in the cold. The damn pieces blew all over my yard and a small dusting of snow hid them. Stepping on one of them would send me head over heels.
The deed is done so I guess I will find out if I wasted my money ($10) on visqueen or if I should have gone with the $40 in tarps that will get wind torn on the edges of the stack. Time will tell. But thanks for the heads up.

Wow. Thanks Archie. They still have them and for that price, I'm gonna switch gears and go that route; its 2/3 less than what I would pay for another solution. With rain on the way again this week I am hoping for some drying out time next week and then cover them suckers!

I have been wondering about this for some time.............

Kansas city has lots of advertising bilboards along the freeways. These things look like the covering is some kind of material that would make an excelent tarp. Just finding out who to contact to get old ones they take down.?????

heatit said:
Wow. Thanks Archie. They still have them and for that price, I'm gonna switch gears and go that route; its 2/3 less than what I would pay for another solution. With rain on the way again this week I am hoping for some drying out time next week and then cover them suckers!

Happy to help! Up your way, get it covered ;-)

Archie said:
heatit said:

Happy to help! Up your way, get it covered ;-)

Ordered them this morning and they shipped out today....too late for the DOWNPOUR that we're getting here all day. During the winter we are right in the snowbelt for where we live. It's like this narrow little band that gets hammered; you can go 5 miles east/west of us and sometimes see half the amount. I'm betting on an Indian Summer soon; windy conditions are forecast for next week so I hope that will dry off this rain from the piles and then they are getting tucked in!! :lol: ...or actually just lightly covered since the tarps are only 3' wide! This will be just right! Thanks again for the link...just passed it on to two other wood burners who are placing orders! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.