1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Trying to get warm air from the half of my house where the stoves are to the other half were no stoves are. We have a single level, mid-century ranch about 2200 sq ft. Our kitchen, LR, family room, dining room is now 1 big room with a 15ft wide floor to cieling chimney/hearth.

About 6 feet from one end of the chimney is the one door to the hall and bedrooms. After our remodel, I have original doors left over. My idea was to take an extra door and cut 2 rectangles, near the top and bottom and install fans/grates. The upper fan blowing into the hall/bedrooms and lower blowing out of the hall/bedrooms. In the summer I would swap the doors back.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It should work to just set a small desktop fan on the floor. Run it on the lowest setting and blow toward the stove room. This is the fastest way to move the warm air out of the stove room into the further rooms. I remember when we tried it the first time and it about blew me away. It was always quite cool in the far room and one of them was the bathroom. A small fan with about 6" blades, setting on the floor of the hallway (right near the entrance) blowing at low speed and it took a very short time for those other rooms to warm right up. This is about the quickest and easiest way to solve a big problem.
    Sprinter likes this.
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Many members here use that method successfully and it's quick and easy (and cheap). No other system of moving air into adjacent areas seems to work as well.
  4. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    Yes, a small fan in the farthest reaches of the house, blowing the cold air towards the stove does wonders. We have one in our laundry room, which was the coldest room in the house. Now, it is nice and cozy in there.
    I do have to thank hearth dot com for that one. Just another problem that this site has helped me solve.
  5. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    So you like those doors closed to keep noise away from the bedrooms?
  6. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Quote="Woody Stover, post: 1541115, member: 16447"]So you like those doors closed to keep noise away from the bedrooms?[/quote]
    When we go to bed at night we usually close that door so the cat stays with us. I was going to try putting on a load before bedtime and having the heat draw in as we sleep.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    There are a few caveats. The door will act as a sounding board. For this reason I would choose a very quiet axial fan of ~50cfm, ideally one around 32db if available. I would be careful with the power cord on the hinged side to make sure it can't get pinched in the door. The wire here will be flexing a lot. Maybe sheath it in a coiled wrapping or loop it gently here? Inspect regularly for any breakdown in insulation.