Would ya?? (Gloves)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Hot refractory and skin is not a good combination. If I go gloveless even one time, a few days later I find splits in my skin. Unfortunatly, I've yet to find gloves that do much better. Suede welding gloves will curl up from the heat.

Not sure what firemen use (his wife never talked about stuff like that) but I am currently lustin these
g51tcsr_thumbnail.jpg

http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/search.asp?keyword=09800044700&search=GO

Not only could I use them in an 80's music video, but they look (2 my untrained eye) like they actually put the thermal protection on the back of the hand, where it's required.

My Morso 3610 came with a mitt that I used for the first year...till it caught on fire...it arraently was not intded for use with the stove, rather I should have been looked at for it clean, Danish styling.

I bought a pair of Lincoln welding gloves, now in thier 3rd season and all thats happened thus far is they've gotten dirty. I can reach right into the firebox and push wood around in there and my hands never get hot. I've used them to pickup coals that sometims fall out too...no issues with curling. $20 if I recollect.

I use Lincoln welding gloves and have picked up flaming splits (but not those that are glowing red, through and through) and moved them around frequently. You still have to be careful, but they're enough for me.

xmas002.jpg

Zetex foundry gloves. Pricey, but definitely worth it-especially when you have a huge firebox.

Looks like Charlie Brown in the outfield, waiting for a fly ball...

Badfish740 said:
Zetex foundry gloves. Pricey, but definitely worth it-especially when you have a huge firebox.

Awesome gloves!

Just so I can get some size perspective, can we get a pic with your wife wearin' um?

Where'd ya get the gloves and wad ya pay?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Badfish740 said:

Awesome gloves!

Just so I can get some size perspective, can we get a pic with your wife wearin' um?

Where'd ya get the gloves and wad ya pay?

Haha...I think they're about 20" fingertips to cuff. I got them because I have a family member who works for a large industrial supply company who gets things at cost. I think retail is around $90. Can't give the name of the company. Search for them on the 'net and you'll find them. The thing I like about them is that I can manipulate pieces of flaming/glowing pieces of wood in the firebox with ease. I've literally buried my hands in hot coals until I started to feel the heat and when I pulled them out they were completely unscathed.

Isn't asbestos bad for you?

I've got two pairs of gloves . . . one insulated a bit (not to the point of the gloves shown in the pics -- we do have some we use on the fireground similar to those but that's to handle chain that is red hot and glowing -- nothing that I'll ever handle in my stove) and one pair that are standard welder's gloves. I tend to use the regular uninsulated welding gloves more often -- they don't take quite as much heat, but they're more flexible and easier to use. I do use the insulated gloves when I'm taking a hot ash pan outside to dump . . . but again . . . I never use those super insulated gloves unless I'm dealing with a chimney fire and then they work well.

bigtall said:
Isn't asbestos bad for you?

Ha-it's Zetex, not harmful as far as I know as its pretty widely used in applications that asbestos used to fill until its use was banned. I know that they're complete overkill, but they were cheap enough and besides being useful they give me something to brag about on hearth.com :lol:

Asbestos is only dangerous if it is inhaled. Asbestos fibers lodge in your lungs and cause bad things to happen, but only if the asbestos is friable. Asbestos built into products or encapsulated is not dangerous, but is a great insulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.