Would you burn wood sprayed by a skunk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Get home late from work tonight and found the family caught up in a little drama. Seems a skunk came barrelin down the ramp towards the little one, vicious pitbull intervenes and dispenses with the skunk but not before skunk does its deed all over the dog and the wood pile. So, would you burn it or maybe give it another year outside to dry?

Attachments

• 071211 skunk site.jpg
    071211 skunk site.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 682
I'd burn the wood, but not the dog.

Wait till its time to burn, if its still skunky see what the btus are if it doesn't burn any better leave it alone
Oh, and give the dog a bone - for a job well done

There ain't enough juice in a skunk to have hit hardly any of that pile. Burn it.

iceman said:
Oh, and give the dog a bone - for a job well done

lol, that thing is going in the fridge tonight or we won't get any sleep.

BrotherBart said:
There ain't enough juice in a skunk to have hit hardly any of that pile. Burn it.

Maybe not but I just about vomited with it in the bucket of the tractor heading for the 6 foot hole I dug for it :coolsmirk:

Tote in from outside, insert in stove, close door, adjust air flow, and let flue gases go up the chimney.

Repeat as needed.

Tomato juice for the dog. Repeat as needed.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Tote in from outside, insert in stove, close door, adjust air flow, and let flue gases go up the chimney.

Repeat as needed.

Tomato juice does not work, and it is a waste.

To de-skunk a dog, use peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dishsoap. For the proper ratio, Google it. Good luck!!!

Capt said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Repeat as needed.

Tomato juice does not work, and it is a waste.

To de-skunk a dog, use peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dishsoap. For the proper ratio, Google it. Good luck!!!

Thanks, good to know.

No wonder it took the collie all summer to "destink".

SolarAndWood said:
BrotherBart said:

Maybe not but I just about vomited with it in the bucket of the tractor heading for the 6 foot hole I dug for it :coolsmirk:
Reverse is your friend!

What happen to the "pull" Cat?

My two dogs got into it with a skunk once, I feel for you, the stench is tremendously strong, nothing like a dead skunk on the side of the road.
I concur with the above recommendation to use peroxide, baking soda and dawn, I used it on my dogs and it worked pretty well, they still slept in the basement for a few days but it wasnt as bad.

What surprised me about skunk odor (when I was cleaning my Beagle, who was soaked) was that the smell changed from normal skunk smell (at a distance) to a smell of hot asphalt or roofing tar when it was up close and really strong.

I never thought the skunk smell was particularly bad . . . until a skunk wandered into our basement garage one summer and sprayed inside . . . I remember waking up out of a sound sleep gagging . . . felt like we had been gassed with some toxic nerve gas or something (at least I would imagine that's how it would feel like) . . . the next week or two were terrible . . . nothing worse than having to go to school smelling like a skunk for two weeks.

I rather doubt that by September the skunk smell on the few splits that got hit in that pile will be any worse than the smell from the number of times a dog has lifted it's leg on the same pile.

Peroxide the dog. It's cheap enough i'd put some in the sprayer and accelerate the woodpile scent clearing.

DanCorcoran said:
What surprised me about skunk odor (when I was cleaning my Beagle, who was soaked) was that the smell changed from normal skunk smell (at a distance) to a smell of hot asphalt or roofing tar when it was up close and really strong.

Ya, it's entirely different up close- acrid, nasty smell.

The wood will be fine by the fall, just leave it out uncovered. If skunk smell did not dissipate, it would smell like skunk everywhere and always outside in skunk territory.

XactLEE said:
SolarAndWood said:
BrotherBart said:

Reverse is your friend!

lol :lol:

Pray for lots of rain between now and wood burning season. Chances are there will be very little odor left by then. Even in dry weather, the smell does not hang around that long....or at least not the real strong smell.

smokinjay said:
XactLEE said:
SolarAndWood said:
BrotherBart said:

Reverse is your friend!

lol :lol:

yep, keep laughin. karma baby karma.

Backwoods Savage said:
Pray for lots of rain between now and wood burning season. Chances are there will be very little odor left by then. Even in dry weather, the smell does not hang around that long....or at least not the real strong smell.

No worries, at least 2 years out. The strong smell went away real quick once I back filled that 6 foot hole.

firefighterjake said:
. . . nothing worse than having to go to school smelling like a skunk for two weeks.

builds character

I bet that still comes up at high school reunions.

This is the kind of thing that inspires kids to try to talk their parents into moving far, far away. Like to Alaska. No skunks in Alaska.

weatherguy said:
My two dogs got into it with a skunk once, I feel for you, the stench is tremendously strong, nothing like a dead skunk on the side of the road.
I concur with the above recommendation to use peroxide, baking soda and dawn, I used it on my dogs and it worked pretty well, they still slept in the basement for a few days but it wasnt as bad.

Agreed... Found this remedy on the Internet myself.. Had to do it twice. But it worked..

At least you won't have to worry much about people trying to steal your wood. Now is the time to test if a skunk-sprayed woodpile will season faster vs a non-sprayed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.