Would you buy this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

When I was new at this, I'd probably have jumped on that and been glad for it.

Now I know better. I don't pay for wood. Period. There's just too much available around me. I could haul a full pickup and trailer load every day of free rounds just from Craigslist ads. Took me a while to figure that out. And this is in Northern Virginia, which is basically D.C. suburbs. I live out in the country, but most of the wood is in the city. Somebody is always dropping a tree.

These days, I don't even bother to go after oak if it's too far from me. I don't go for poplar or even silver maple.

You're in central Mass. The forest in your area has got to be a lot like mine. Plentiful, thick, and everywhere. I think if you'll keep your eyes open, watch Craigslist, talk to a few local tree companies, you'll learn to keep yourself fat for zero cash outlay, except for gas money.

You're in central Mass. The forest in your area has got to be a lot like mine. Plentiful, thick, and everywhere. I think if you'll keep your eyes open, watch Craigslist, talk to a few local tree companies, you'll learn to keep yourself fat for zero cash outlay, except for gas money.
The problem is that in MA everyone probably burn wood whereas in VA much much less. So more demand, less to go around for everyone.

Well, all I can say is that there are plenty of woodburners here, and I don't pay for wood, but it took me a while to figure it out.

I even have an endless supply of all the free rounds I can haul from a log processor, and I haven't been there in a few years. I get too much free stuff offered to me. I probably should go get a load just so they don't forget me.

Status
Not open for further replies.