Would you buy this...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
A friend in NY is selling her parents' never used p43 with 1 ton of pellets and piping. They want $2k for it all. I would have to rent a truck and drive 4 hours upstate to pick up.

A good deal or not so much?

Mary

Mary, she's not that good of a friend, I priced a new one this past summer and they were $2200 or $2300. I wouldn't call the ton of pellets a deal breaker, the piping may or may not work in your configuration. If you buy it new the warranty is in your name. If you buy it used for a couple of hundred less, you don't have a guarantee. For $1500 I might think about it.

Tom C.

I don't know this stove or what your needs are...but as far as value goes: List price on base model $2769 + $225ish for pellets + $250ish for piping (arbitrary number because we don't know how much and what it is) = $3244 in goods approximately (this is a SWAG because I don't know what retail on the P43 is nor what kind of pellets at what price and same for piping.

I'd assume the truck rental would be a couple hundred bucks?

So maybe you'd have no more than $2500 invested in an estimated $3200 worth of goods? Sounds good to me if you need it and it will serve your needs!!!

Does it come with any factory warranty?

Ah well there you go....Tom beat me to it. I didn't know what retail was on one of these units. And it's a good point that you might need more venting than what's included.

For that money. . . . . I would buy it. After tax and everything, it would be well over $3,000 here in Oh.

Can you "borrow" someones truck? I own a truck and a couple trailers. But if I didn't. I would be looking to rent, beg, or borrow.... Especially a brand new unit!!!!

mrjohneel said:
Coincidentally there's a brand new p43 with venting and a ton of pellets on Boston craigslist for $2100.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hsh/2811357948.html

Wouldn't it be less time consuming and less gas driving to Ware, MA then to upstate NY? That looks like a lot of piping in that Boston listing and if you don't use it all, you might able to turn it around and sell it on CL to make a quick buck. Just a thought.

hotdawg said:
mrjohneel said:
Coincidentally there's a brand new p43 with venting and a ton of pellets on Boston craigslist for $2100.

Wouldn't it be less time consuming and less gas driving to Ware, MA then to upstate NY? That looks like a lot of piping in that Boston listing and if you don't use it all, you might able to turn it around and sell it on CL to make a quick buck. Just a thought.

I'm guessing it's the same one!

Tom C.

silverfox103 said:
hotdawg said:
mrjohneel said:

I'm guessing it's the same one!

Tom C.

I thought so too except she was saying she would have to rent a truck and drive hours to upstate NY to pick it up. Either way, sounds like a pretty good deal.

Currently the P43 is selling for 2769.00, with a 300.00 off coupon from Harman's website. I would go with a new one in this case. The offer ends in the next couple of weeks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.