Would you do this to save just over $400.00?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like all of us, I'm trying to save money where I can here and there. While I work out of my home, and can make time for firewood tending, I don't have the room on my land (or neighborhood) that would allow for a grapple load of logs delivered.

Over the past couple of winters, I've bought firewood already cut and split. The wood I bought last year from TreehuggerFarms.com was exceptionally good - de-barked, semi seasoned, and dried nicely on my south facing patio to a MC of approximately 20% +/- a few. It was expensive though. And, I'm looking to get another 4 cord to get ahead for next year. It will cost me $986 and change for 4 de-barked cord from TreehuggerFarms.

I spoke with the guy I got firewood from my first year, not Treehuggerfarms, and he said he would be willing to sell me 4 cord of rounds (I would do the splitting - by hand) for $580.00. This is a $400.00 difference.

Would you do it?

I do have experience splitting by hand.

Well I work from home same as you so I understand the flexibility with time. Now if the wood is good quality, you don't mind doing the extra labor/getting a good workout then why not.

As far as I am concerned $400 is $400 of my hard earned money, if I can save it and spend it elsewhere then why not. :)

Yes, I would. I enjoy hand splitting.

For me it's even more about the exercise and enjoyment of splitting than the cost-saving; though I'm not opposed to that either!

Well I work from home same as you so I understand the flexibility with time. Now if the wood is good quality, you don't mind doing the extra labor/getting a good workout then why not.

As far as I am concerned $400 is $400 of my hard earned money, if I can save it and spend it elsewhere then why not. :)

That is what I was thinking too. Only problem is with the "good quality" thing. My last experience buying wood from this guy was the most dirty wood I've ever seen. And wetter than wet - cut and split. I might go there to his yard and actually see what I'd be buying before doing it.

My wife says, "how much is your time worth?" Figure it would take me at least 40 hours to hand split and stack the 4 cords. That is about $10.00 per hour...

Yes, I would do it. I just ordered 2 cords of douglas fir rounds a month ago. Just finished splitting them all last weekend by hand. It's a good workout, and I enjoy splitting it, and saving money. I only paid $220 for the 2 cords, which actually turned out to be about 2.5 cords.

This also depends on the wood. Some is easier to split than others. Douglas fir is prety easy to split, although a 33" round is still difficult to start. I've read that red oak is very easy to split, while willow is incredibly hard to split (and burns poorly). I don't know what kind of wood you're dealing with in NH, but I'm guessing it's oak or maple, not douglas fir.

When I was working out of the house my best part of the day was around four or five in the afternoon I would knock off for the day, grab a beer and go out and split some every day.

In that case I would find someone else who can deliver quality product, I have been reading about the Idaho logs and if that product is available to you then might be worth getting some of that as well.

The stuff you got last time was already split.
Rounds won't be dry, so if it takes a while to get 'em split and stacked, the wood likely won't be dry by next fall.
Really depends on the type of wood, also.
ETA: You type faster than I think......those wood types give a better chance.
Git 'er dun.

The stuff you got last time was already split.
Rounds won't be dry, so if it takes a while to get 'em split and stacked, the wood likely won't be dry by next fall.
Really depends on the type of wood, also.
ETA: You type faster than I think......those wood types give a better chance.
Git 'er dun.

True!

Is it common to sell wood in the round vs all split? Curious to know if the price of $145.00 is fair or if you think I could do better.
It's common in the Seattle area to sell rounds, I imagine it's the same in other areas. $145 for a cord of good hardwood rounds sounds reasonable to me. I don't know much about birch or ash, but I'm pretty sure that most maple, oak and cherry are great woods.

Wonder if you have burnt wood that I have grown. I have sold logs to treehuggers in the past.

It is no surprise that your other supplier has dirty wood, a logger dragged it through who knows what and the it sat on a muddy landing before it got onto a truck. And wet is wet, it got cut green and made it to you soon after. I wouldn't expect anything different there. But does it really matter to you if it shows up dirty at our house. It is already cut so the dirt won't be destroying your chain.

I'd worry about getting a load of diseased beech. Beech bark scale is rather prevalent in your area. Diseased beech can be close to impossible to split by hand, even 10" rounds.

Reactions: Christopix
400 clams could rent you a splitter for a day/weekend with plenty left over to pay for the beer you drink while admiring your stacks - just saying?

$145 a cord!!! almost 1/2 that price here. I wouldn't burn wood if it cost me that much.

Reactions: Shawnsolo
Too bad you just can't find it, I've been lucky, I scrounged 6 cords of wood this year. Here in nj there is wood everywhere, you just got to keep your eyes open. Ask some tree cutters, Check Craig's list, all this snow and ice will bring more wood in the spring, lots of tree damage....

$145 a cord!!! almost 1/2 that price here. I wouldn't burn wood if it cost me that much.

Seriously? That $145 was for bucked up rounds. I paid $246.00 per cord (bought 6 cord) last early spring for this years heating season. Mind you, everything was de-barked and split so it dried quickly and very very little mess. I can't imagine getting rounds delivered at $73.00 per cord like you are getting there in MI! I would jump on that deal quickly!

I think the cheapest cut and split delivery around here is $185.00 per cord and green. And from what I've learned, that is a pretty good deal around these parts.

That is what I was thinking too. Only problem is with the "good quality" thing. My last experience buying wood from this guy was the most dirty wood I've ever seen. And wetter than wet - cut and split. I might go there to his yard and actually see what I'd be buying before doing it.

My wife says, "how much is your time worth?" Figure it would take me at least 40 hours to hand split and stack the 4 cords. That is about $10.00 per hour...

40 hours to split and stack 3 cord? That's a LONG time. Doesn't take me near 40 hours to drop, buck, haul, split and stack 4 cord. For me, I like working wood - if I could save money by doing more of the work (I do all the work now) - I would - I'd find another use for the money. I see the Treehugger ads around here all the time in NH - seems like they sell a lot of wood. Cheers!

40 hours to split and stack 3 cord? That's a LONG time. Doesn't take me near 40 hours to drop, buck, haul, split and stack 4 cord.

Are you using a gas/electric splitter?

Are you using a gas/electric splitter?
I split quite a bit in the woods - unless it's knotty or tough - then haul the rounds and split with the gas splitter at home. Do you think 40 hours for 3 cord is fast? Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.