1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Would you drive 30 mins for this free wood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Archer39, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I do it, even though I have plenty here. It is nice to have an easy load. Althogh lifting those logs may not be easy, I like using a dolly and a trailer with a ramp. That would take me a few trips.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CiscoKid

CiscoKid New Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    If it's a half hour in the Philly direction for you, let me know if you don't want it. I'll take it for sure ;)
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Well, by the looks of it, the shed is 2 pieces of plywood wide, so 8', the little vertical strips on the siding are 16" on center and the door is 2 strips wide, so 32". Now when you bring the shed forward to the tree, the shed is only going to appear bigger - so I'm thinking that first branch on the tree is maybe 10-12 feet from the stump, 14 feet tops. Also looking just to the right of the shed door, there is a 'notch' in the snow on the tree. So it looks like you've got maybe a 16-20" diameter tree with 10-12 inches of snow on top giving the illusion of big diameter and a lot of wood.

Even considering the trunk is 20" x 14 feet (168"), that is about 30 cubic feet of solid wood (1/3 cord) - and probably less than that, figure the same amount in the branches and you're still looking at less than a cord. I'd bet it would almost all fit in a standard pick-up bed if you stack it well and don't mind going above the bed rails a bit. Also looks like it might have fallen on account of being dead - live trees usually pull up a lot of dirt/soil with the root ball. So hope it doesn't have a big hollow trunk.

Now, would I drive that far for it? Well, most of my cutting areas are a leisurely 20-30 minute drive, so I don't think it's all that big of a deal (Actually, come to think of it, most everything around here is a 20-30 minute drive) But as long as you can get a truckload out of it, should be worth the trip. Though I probably wouldn't mess with it in the snow - I'd wait for a nice spring day!
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    just show up either way........lol
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    pretty good way to look at it the trunk in my avatar was 14ft x 44 in red oak. 14 ft on the first limb and that thing is out in the open its a pretty good size tree.
  6. Archer39

Archer39 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Pottstown PA
    ended up being 22 inches at the trunk. There were a lot more branches than pictured. it filled my pickup stacked neatly up to the top and humped in the middle and 3/4 of my buddies 10'x6'x4' trailer. The entire trailer was filled with small rounds that don't need to be split. I believe it is walnut. I ended up having to wheelbarrow it all pretty far it was no 60ft from his driveway that is for sure. The yard was very soft and the guy seemed very particular and did not want ruts in yard. He ended up with a bit of a muddy path but still a lot better than tire marks. Dark middle, deep triangular bark and split super easy. It will post pictures tomorrow when it is all split and stacked.
  7. Ductape

Ductape Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Good deal....... glad you decided to go get it.
  8. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    We could change it to my usual friendly bet. Loser buys a 12 pack and has to help the winner drink it.

Now if I can just get out to Indiana. ;-)
  9. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    Good score! It sounds like you got better than a cord. I believe walnut burns like cherry which is a lot better then if it was sassafras.
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I'll take that bet.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    sure look bigger.
  12. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Nice score, sounds like it was worth the effort.
  13. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    22 inches is a great size to cut and split and carry. I've learned not to bit on much bigger because it's just exponentially more work. Weird how people can make it sound so easy to get to and do until you get there and then they don't want anything messed up. You'll probably get a call later about all the sawdust you caused! lol... congrats and looking forward to some nice split pics.
  14. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    Wait untill he sees what the walnut sawdust does to the surrounding vegetation. I understand it can be toxic.
  15. marreque

marreque Member

Loc:
    Fall River, Massachusetts
    i would drive for it!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.