Would you drive 30 mins for this free wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do it, even though I have plenty here. It is nice to have an easy load. Althogh lifting those logs may not be easy, I like using a dolly and a trailer with a ramp. That would take me a few trips.

If it's a half hour in the Philly direction for you, let me know if you don't want it. I'll take it for sure ;)

Well, by the looks of it, the shed is 2 pieces of plywood wide, so 8', the little vertical strips on the siding are 16" on center and the door is 2 strips wide, so 32". Now when you bring the shed forward to the tree, the shed is only going to appear bigger - so I'm thinking that first branch on the tree is maybe 10-12 feet from the stump, 14 feet tops. Also looking just to the right of the shed door, there is a 'notch' in the snow on the tree. So it looks like you've got maybe a 16-20" diameter tree with 10-12 inches of snow on top giving the illusion of big diameter and a lot of wood.

Even considering the trunk is 20" x 14 feet (168"), that is about 30 cubic feet of solid wood (1/3 cord) - and probably less than that, figure the same amount in the branches and you're still looking at less than a cord. I'd bet it would almost all fit in a standard pick-up bed if you stack it well and don't mind going above the bed rails a bit. Also looks like it might have fallen on account of being dead - live trees usually pull up a lot of dirt/soil with the root ball. So hope it doesn't have a big hollow trunk.

Now, would I drive that far for it? Well, most of my cutting areas are a leisurely 20-30 minute drive, so I don't think it's all that big of a deal (Actually, come to think of it, most everything around here is a 20-30 minute drive) But as long as you can get a truckload out of it, should be worth the trip. Though I probably wouldn't mess with it in the snow - I'd wait for a nice spring day!

JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
I've gone more then 30 minutes for free wood but it was already bucked. If I had the time I would make the trip, but I don't believe that trunk is anywhere near 36". My guess would be 20-22" tops, if that. Not quite a cord there. Also did anyone guess black walnut?

Still a nice score. Good luck!

the door opening to the shed has to be 32-36 in. door.

I mostly was going by the size of the foot prints on the ground near the tree. Its hard to tell how far back the shed is.

Lets start a pool. :coolsmile:

lets do I'll go 5 bucks on that

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start a new one when I win to let you know when I'll be in Indiana to collect my winnings :p

just show up either way........lol

cozy heat said:
Well, by the looks of it, the shed is 2 pieces of plywood wide, so 8', the little vertical strips on the siding are 16" on center and the door is 2 strips wide, so 32". Now when you bring the shed forward to the tree, the shed is only going to appear bigger - so I'm thinking that first branch on the tree is maybe 10-12 feet from the stump, 14 feet tops. Also looking just to the right of the shed door, there is a 'notch' in the snow on the tree. So it looks like you've got maybe a 16-20" diameter tree with 10-12 inches of snow on top giving the illusion of big diameter and a lot of wood.

Even considering the trunk is 20" x 14 feet (168"), that is about 30 cubic feet of solid wood (1/3 cord) - and probably less than that, figure the same amount in the branches and you're still looking at less than a cord. I'd bet it would almost all fit in a standard pick-up bed if you stack it well and don't mind going above the bed rails a bit. Also looks like it might have fallen on account of being dead - live trees usually pull up a lot of dirt/soil with the root ball. So hope it doesn't have a big hollow trunk.

Now, would I drive that far for it? Well, most of my cutting areas are a leisurely 20-30 minute drive, so I don't think it's all that big of a deal (Actually, come to think of it, most everything around here is a 20-30 minute drive) But as long as you can get a truckload out of it, should be worth the trip. Though I probably wouldn't mess with it in the snow - I'd wait for a nice spring day!

pretty good way to look at it the trunk in my avatar was 14ft x 44 in red oak. 14 ft on the first limb and that thing is out in the open its a pretty good size tree.

ended up being 22 inches at the trunk. There were a lot more branches than pictured. it filled my pickup stacked neatly up to the top and humped in the middle and 3/4 of my buddies 10'x6'x4' trailer. The entire trailer was filled with small rounds that don't need to be split. I believe it is walnut. I ended up having to wheelbarrow it all pretty far it was no 60ft from his driveway that is for sure. The yard was very soft and the guy seemed very particular and did not want ruts in yard. He ended up with a bit of a muddy path but still a lot better than tire marks. Dark middle, deep triangular bark and split super easy. It will post pictures tomorrow when it is all split and stacked.

smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD" date="1266545842 said:
I've gone more then 30 minutes for free wood but it was already bucked. If I had the time I would make the trip, but I don't believe that trunk is anywhere near 36". My guess would be 20-22" tops, if that. Not quite a cord there. Also did anyone guess black walnut?

I mostly was going by the size of the foot prints on the ground near the tree. Its hard to tell how far back the shed is.

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start a new one when I win to let you know when I'll be in Indiana to collect my winnings :p

We could change it to my usual friendly bet. Loser buys a 12 pack and has to help the winner drink it.

Now if I can just get out to Indiana. ;-)

Good score! It sounds like you got better than a cord. I believe walnut burns like cherry which is a lot better then if it was sassafras.

JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay" date="1266546285 said:
JoeyD" date="1266545842 said:

We could change it to my usual friendly bet. Loser buys a 12 pack and has to help the winner drink it.

Now if I can just get out to Indiana. ;-)

I'll take that bet.

Archer39 said:
ended up being 22 inches at the trunk. There were a lot more branches than pictured. it filled my pickup stacked neatly up to the top and humped in the middle and 3/4 of my buddies 10'x6'x4' trailer. The entire trailer was filled with small rounds that don't need to be split. I believe it is walnut. I ended up having to wheelbarrow it all pretty far it was no 60ft from his driveway that is for sure. The yard was very soft and the guy seemed very particular and did not want ruts in yard. He ended up with a bit of a muddy path but still a lot better than tire marks. Dark middle, deep triangular bark and split super easy. It will post pictures tomorrow when it is all split and stacked.

sure look bigger.

Nice score, sounds like it was worth the effort.

22 inches is a great size to cut and split and carry. I've learned not to bit on much bigger because it's just exponentially more work. Weird how people can make it sound so easy to get to and do until you get there and then they don't want anything messed up. You'll probably get a call later about all the sawdust you caused! lol... congrats and looking forward to some nice split pics.

drdoct said:
You'll probably get a call later about all the sawdust you caused! lol... congrats and looking forward to some nice split pics.

Wait untill he sees what the walnut sawdust does to the surrounding vegetation. I understand it can be toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.