Would you like some ice w/ your OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I've been thinking about wrapping the outside air supply pipe (3") with duct insulation but currently think that this action would only cause the ice to form closer to the stove. The pipe is about 24 - 30" long. The stove is about 18" from the wall. As you may be able to see from the pix the ice is about 6" along the pipe, then some distance of condensation. About 6 inches from the stove (not in view) the pipe is dry. The outside temperature this morning when I took the pix was -1 degree F. Any thoughts? Thank you.

IMG_2790.JPG

I've been thinking about wrapping the outside air supply pipe (3") with duct insulation but currently think that this action would only cause the ice to form closer to the stove. The

Leave it as is. Put a tray under it, so when it thaws, you won't have a mess on the floor.

Reactions: Hoot23 and St_Earl
same thing happend to my oak some what happy im not the only one who is having this problem right now do u think the inside of the oak pipe can freeze all the way up and block everything up

same thing happend to my oak some what happy im not the only one who is having this problem right now do u think the inside of the oak pipe can freeze all the way up and block everything up

I don't think the same thing is happening inside the OAK pipe. The cold air going through there should be nice and dry. It's only because you have a cold surface in the more moist interior air. That condenses and then freezes on the surface of the OAK. At least that's what I reckon, if anyone has experience to the contrary, I'd be happy to know about it.

No, this is moisture inside your house condensing and freezing to the cold surface of the OAK. Like mchasal said, the air inside the pipe is effectively bone dry.

Reactions: AGPNY
Wow that's amazing! It was -11 here this morning and I checked for these conditions inside the house and outside. My Selkirk dt pipe did not ice up. I wonder if you could put pipe insulation over it. At a minimum, it would create a barrier and reduce/eliminate condensation for the temp differential which would eliminate the freezing issues.

Warm air can hold much more moisture than cold air. The air AROUND your OAK is probably 70 -75 degrees, which can hold a lot more moisture than -1 degree air (and with people, plants,possibly even a humidifier indoors there's more moisture to be held). The cold air rushing through your OAK cools the air around the pipe, so that air can't hold the moisture it contained at 70 degrees. But the moisture doesn't just vanish - instead it "precipitates", or goes from being a gas to a liquid and then just about as quickly to a solid. It's the same thing one sees on a single pane window pane, or when dew / frost forms on the grass.

Insulating the OAK will prevent the warm indoor air from being cooled so quickly, but yes, there is a danger of ice / water forming wherever warm, moist air comes into contact with that cold pipe. So while the inside of the OAK inlet pipe is probably bone dry at these temps, the area where the insulation stops on the outside of the pipe could have this problem. Would not be a big worry for me, but it is possible.

Much of the country is having a 20-year record low this week. If it hasn't happened before, the pan/tray under the OAK may be all that's needed.

Free ice, put a snifter of your favorite bourbon below it & shake, don't stir!

Our venting does not freeze. It's that kind where the oak is part of the vent and the air coming in is pre warmed

Last edited:
There is a type of insulated duct that is used for high velocity air conditioning systems. It is designed to prevent the situation you have. I don't know what you would do where the duct meets the stove, but that can't be too different from a duct meeting the diffuser, there must be an already existing solution for the problem.

Another thought. A resistance heater, the type used to keep pipes from freezing could be used to warm the metal duct. If I were to do that I would put it on a light dimmer so that I could control the amount of heat it delivers.

Ive put one of those scrunchy aluminum cooking trays under mine. It would not get enough to drip though it would defrost and evaporate before it actually dripped.

My OAKS iced up also. But stove is still pumpin. Good idea about the tray underneath.

I have a long tall OAK on the pellet puppy that is burning in the basement tonight. I put my hand on that cold sucker and gave thought to insulating it tomorrow just because of the heat it has to be soaking up in that corner of the room.

Don't use humidifiers ..

I went to Home Depot and got some of the black foam 3 inch pipe insulation that you wrap around the pipe and It sticks to itself. I put It on the pipe from the wall to the bracket on the stove for the OAK.So far no condensation problems -7 Deg. last night

My P38 OAK pipe looks a lot worse. I find that very little moisture drips from it when it melts. My OAK is only 20-24" long. I place a folded wash cloth beneath it.Ok

I've been thinking about wrapping the outside air supply pipe (3") with duct insulation but currently think that this action would only cause the ice to form closer to the stove. The pipe is about 24 - 30" long. The stove is about 18" from the wall. As you may be able to see from the pix the ice is about 6" along the pipe, then some distance of condensation. About 6 inches from the stove (not in view) the pipe is dry. The outside temperature this morning when I took the pix was -1 degree F. Any thoughts? Thank you.

View attachment 122804
I installed a new OAK on my stove this season and it came with an insulated sleeve. I had same issue as you last year, no ice issue now. ;)

Dont lick it your tongue will stick to it. I like the ice it looks neat and you know its working.

Reactions: Hoot23
Don't use humidifiers..

Status
Not open for further replies.