would you take a free Russo stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
Complete rookie here, considering to make useful the fireplace in my living room with a 14' vaulted ceiling and 7' x 12' window. My wife's uncle has a Russo Wood/Coal that he is willing to give us for free. My question is simple, should I accept this gift or is it going to be more trouble than it's worth? Stove seems to be in fine shape, but seems small though, and I would like it to heat more than that living room (I live in a 1800sf split and this would be on the main level). I've also checked out the local fireplace shop and like the Lopi - but most of you know what that will entail, $$$$.

THANKS!!!!

fyi - If it's helpful for your advice, I can get wood for free....including seasoned stuff for this year.

FREE STOVE!!!! FREE WOOD!!!! What was the question?

(Seriously though, if it is in safe working condition and you have a safe chimney. Go for it. If you are unsure of the safety of the unit or the safety of th chimney call your local hearth shpo or stove dealer/tech and have them loo at it.)

Did somebody say FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BikeMedic:

"have them loo at it."

There are some hearth.com members in Europe laughing their arses off right now saying "Not in my fireplace you don't!".

Boohahhaaaaahaaaa..MoowwHaahaaahaaahaaaahaaa!
Dude, I didn't catch that. But, that wsa funny! I just realized that if you shorten BikeMedic...You could come up with BM. Ahahahahahahahaha!

Free Stove = an interesting project at little cost.

Have fun with it!

Oh, you were asking how to get it home weren't you? Not if your should get it home....I'd say pickup truck.

Thanks for the encouragement, maybe the question should be: does anyone have experience with Russo coal/wood stoves? Are they good units? Anything I should know? Maybe this is a new topic?

Russo stoves are very good for coal - but not too good for wood. So if you either want to burn hard coal - or just want a short duration fire here and there, then you are in business.

Parts are still available.....

Attachments

• wood_coal_stove_russo_C-55.jpg
    wood_coal_stove_russo_C-55.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 577
Status
Not open for further replies.