Would you turn down 2-3 cord of aspen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
I saw a posting on CL... I put in a call to see what size the wood is, and how much work it would be, but 2-3 cord delivered for free seems like a good deal. I know aspen burns pretty quick, but would there be a reason to not go for it if they say its still available?

I wouldn't turn down a free load of Balsa wood! lol It all burns and produces heat.

"Free is a very good price" - Tom Peterson, an iconic TV pitchman and appliance store owner in Portland years ago.

i am waiting for the call back... chances are he has already gotten rid of it, but you never know!

Free is free . . . while some folks might turn their nose up at poplar, the truth is when you don't have wood (or have to pay for wood) free fuel of whatever sort is usually better than no fuel at all.

Honestly, in the woods I don't go out of my way to cut down a poplar, but if it's in my way I'll take it down and burn it . . . sure it may not coal up very well or give the best BTUs, but it will certainly work well for kindling or use in the shoulder season.

Incidentally, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about accepting free wood . . . the guys here at work have recently finished a structural cribbing course in which they cut up a whole bunch of dimension lumber . . . most of which has found a new home at my home where it will be either repurposed for small wood projects or as kindling.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I cleared a lot for a horse riding ring, mostly poplar. Been mixing it with other stuff in the boiler when it's not real cold and I would take all they want to get rid of. Dries fast, splits easy and burns nice.

Reactions: pernox
I have been running my boiler on poplar and pine for almost a month. I throw in a couple maple splits with it on the colder nights and it's good to go.

Pretty sure someone else ended up with it, since I got no call back. Oh well. It turns out the stuff I rolled home yesterday was locus

I would think bark beetle killed pine and aspen be the typical wood score in CO. So I would certainly take it. If I burned wood in CO I would run an oversized catalytic stove for this reason.

I know aspen burns pretty quick, but would there be a reason to not go for it if they say its still available?

Of course not. Wood is wood. Different woods have different energy densities, but they all have some energy, and heat. when burned.

Why, oh why, would you give up the opportunity for any, even one hour, of free heat?

Why, oh why, would you give up the opportunity for any, even one hour, of free heat?
The main reason would be if something better were available. Wood is not truly free unless it is already split, stacked, and ready to burn. Getting to that point requires some amount of time and effort. The wood in question would fail a cost-benefit calculation if other wood was available that would provide more heat for the same investment. Not clear if OP has other options but I could see myself turning down aspen or pine or poplar if I already had access to some good hardwoods.

The main reason would be if something better were available. Wood is not truly free unless it is already split, stacked, and ready to burn. Getting to that point requires some amount of time and effort. The wood in question would fail a cost-benefit calculation if other wood was available that would provide more heat for the same investment. Not clear if OP has other options but I could see myself turning down aspen or pine or poplar if I already had access to some good hardwoods.

guy never called back. i have other wood, this would have just been nice to have a pile to work on. I have roughly 2 cord of elm to split, and some other pine and boxelder that i need to clean up and spit as well.

One word answer YES
To much good hard wood around here to bother with aspen

Status
Not open for further replies.