Would you use this in a Stihl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
Was going to by a gallon of Stihl Woodcutters bar and chain oil at the Ace True Value which is an authorized Stihl dealer.
Its $30+tax for a gallon.
I can by this and it would be like getting 2 gallons for free.
Shipping is $9
http://goosegear.com/770305-bar-and-chain-oil-by-the-case-1-gal-bottles

Also, What about the 2 cycle oil, it $3 for one bottle to make one gallon.

No I would not pay $30/gallon for bar oil!!! I buy poulan at Walmart or supertec. Or what's o. Sale at TSC.

As to oil for gas I just buy husqvarna semi syn oil at Lowes for like $6 for a bottle that makes 6 gallons or so. It also has a fuel stabilizer in it. I have use. This stuff when its a year old no issues. But I go through about 5 gallons a year now so it does not sit as long anymore.

Not to get too deep into an oil war here, but you can use any good bar oil in a Stihl (or any brand saw, pro or non-pro). Just use a clean virgin oil with a tackifier, or an organic oil. Used oils are to be avoided. I buy a local brand bar oil made for chainsaws with a red dye added, and it is $10 a gallon. I have also used Husky and Poulan bar oil (same company), Stihl, and other brands. Wal-Mart oil tends to be variable and too thin. Here they do not sell winter grade bar oil, but that can be a problem in your area when temps get below freezing. I leave the saws and oil inside overnight before cutting in the winter, and too cold/thick an oil has never been a problem for me.

2-cycle premix oil is another debate, but I use 100% synthetic JASO FC/FD rated oil that is made for air cooled 2-stroke engines. It smokes a lot less than dyno based or blended dyno/synthetic oil, and does not gunk up your engine. Do not use marine grade TWC oils, as they are made for water cooled engines. Also avoid hybrid oils that claim to work for both water and air cooled engines, and non-graded and generic cheapie oils. I mix it at about 45:1 (another item for debate, but I like a tad more ring seal with more oil for more low end lube and a tad more ring compression). The oil I use also has a dye in it so you know the gas has oil added (to help avoid straight gassing a saw).

Even though I've been a framing contractor for 25 years, I only had cheap homeowner chainsaws that when I brought out to the site to cut some stupid big structural beam, they would fall apart.
So 2 years ago right before I got hooked on burning wood as well as cutting and splitting my own, I had a house to frame on the water on piles.
Hence the need for a new saw'
Then I found this site and got hooked.
So I said thats it, I'm buying a professional saw and will treat it like gold. I swore that I would only use Sthil products!
I have a MS311.

I will say that in the two years I have bought 3 gallons of bar oil and a bunch of the gas mix from that store:(
But it finally clicked like do I really need to drop that kinda coin.

So thats why I'm here asking for help.:)
Thanks for the 2 quick responses.
And I am definetly NOT looking to make this a oil war.::P
I save all my wars for the boiler room::-)

That case of 4 gallons is still over $16/bottle delivered to your door. Around here, the good price is under $10/gallon. Buy whatever is on sale. That's TSC or Poulan for me. I'd use canola oil before paying $16/gallon.

Buy inexpensive bar oil and put your money towards a good synthetic 2-cycle oil designed for air cooled engines. If you use an oil brand that makes good chainsaws and keep it fresh, you'll have nothing to worry about.

I buy generic B/C oil at the local surplus store.....it has a tack additive and I've never ever had a problem with it. Costs 11 clams a gallon.

then lots of other guys on both this site and AS use canola oil with no problems whatsoever. And that stuff is cheaper yet. I've wanted to try it out but keep forgetting to have my wife pick up a big bottle of it at Sams club.....

Was going to by a gallon of Stihl Woodcutters bar and chain oil at the Ace True Value which is an authorized Stihl dealer.
Shipping is $9

I'm using a generic bar and chain oil from Menards. I think it was $8 a gallon. I can't justify buying Stihl bar oil. I use their good 2 stroke oil though. It's not that much a year.

I buy generic B/C oil at the local surplus store.....it has a tack additive and I've never ever had a problem with it. Costs 11 clams a gallon.

then lots of other guys on both this site and AS use canola oil with no problems whatsoever. And that stuff is cheaper yet. I've wanted to try it out but keep forgetting to have my wife pick up a big bottle of it at Sams club.....

I would experiment with one of your cheaper saws. My wife makes old fashioned lye soap. We have a stock pile of oils and stuff at home. I'd stick with that $11 stuff for your expensive saws.

Edited for clarity: You can also use a synthetic premix oil made for motorcycles. I use Elf motorcycle oil myself. I was using Mobil one synthetic, but they stopped selling it in the US.

You can also use an oil made for motorcycles. I use Elf motorcycle oil myself. I was using Mobil one synthetic, but they stopped selling it in the US.

Is that any cheaper though? Some of the generic bar oil is under $10 like what I bought.

Is that any cheaper though? Some of the generic bar oil is under $10 like what I bought.

That is for the premix oil, not the bar oil. I edited my post for clarity, as we are talking about the two type of chainsaw oil here.

Not a huge CS guy like some here. I wait for B&C oil to go on sale at TSC. I've got 3 gallons that I got for something like $8/gallon. I also have some Canola oil that worked well. I'd like to get some winter weight soon.
I generally use the Husky 2 stroke oil from TSC too. I've had the 455 R for 6.5 years w/o any problems.
I also run 45:1, instead of 50:1. Smokes a bit when it's cold, but runs very strong (for a 455R:p).

Reactions: ScotO
Shipping is $9

I've been running Wesson Canola Oil for bar oil in all of my Stihl saws, seems to work fine, this will be my third year running Canola Oil in the saws.

TSC here just ran a sale on bar oil. $7 a gallon. You could've swore they were getting into the tree business by the number of looks of the parking lot. Log trucks, chip trucks, bucket trucks, they were all there. ;lol

Best price I have seen around here in years.

Infinitymike, I don't know where on LI you are, but Walmart has Poulan B&C oil for $7.97 right now. Good tackifiers in that green bottle.

I always use. Poulan from Walmart. Till this last bottle I bought last fall at TSC for $8 as well. Usually I just get it at Walmart.

TSC bar oil here, except for the 7-8 gallons of Husky oil I bought before the switch to Jonsered. I have used canola, but don't care for the hard packed mess of sawdust I get in the saw. I would never pay $30/gallon for bar oil.

Poulan synthetic two stroke oil from wally world has been fine for me for years, except for the 24 bottles of Husky premix I bought before the switch to Jonsered. Two or three more gallons of gas, and I'll be into that high dollar stuff.

One gallon of husqvarna bar oil at lowes is 11.00 bucks.

Good to know. Think I may be buying this generic at Wallyworld for $8 a gallon next time I need B/C oil,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Bar-and-Chain-Oil-1-Gallon/16795133#ProductDetail

Not a huge CS guy like some here. I wait for B&C oil to go on sale at TSC. I've got 3 gallons that I got for something like $8/gallon. I also have some Canola oil that worked well. I'd like to get some winter weight soon.
I generally use the Husky 2 stroke oil from TSC too. I've had the 455 R for 6.5 years w/o any problems.
I also run 45:1, instead of 50:1. Smokes a bit when it's cold, but runs very strong (for a 455R:p).
I run my mix rich too, PD. HEy, it smokes a little more (but that helps keep the skeeters at bay), and I know it's getting plenty of bottom and top end lube.....

I'll bet I'm running closer to 40:1 mix......

Infinitymike, I don't know where on LI you are, but Walmart has Poulan B&C oil for $7.97 right now. Good tackifiers in that green bottle.
I'm in Northport. Theres a Walmart close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.