Wouldn't you like to be a prepper, too?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably have enough dry/canned goods in cupboards/pantry to last a couple months in winter,3 or so this time of year (dont eat near as much in hot weather).Freezer is mostly full too.Roughly 5 1/2 yrs ahead in dry wood storage,if its another mild winter like last one,that'll be 6 counting what I cut in past few weeks.Plan more for storms,power outages or in case I'm injured or sick in the future than anything else.

I'm reasonably prepared here - mostly a remnant of my boy scout days i'd say.

- Enough wood to heat part time 2-3 years, full time at least one winter (or 2 like last year).
- Generator wired into an xfer switch with enough gas to run the fridges and hot water heater an hour a day for up to a week
- Enough food staples on hand at any time to eat for a week or too, or as long as we can stand rice and peanut butter
- an anti-viral hiking water filter to make all the potable water we need from pretty much any source
- Camping gear to cook with if the wood stove isn't in use
- lanterns, candles, etc

[political rant disclaimer]
Having said that as far as those pepper shows I dont expect a sudden calamity and massive die off but if im honest I expect changes ahead. I do believe that via climate affecting cropland and/or a failure to find replacements for oil and gas this planet is not likely to be able to feed 7 billion people still when Im 75 years old. I dont think its going to end in an apocalypse, rather we will see more of whats going on today - gradual lowering of living standards via "financial crisis" and population reduction in the 3rd world from famine/disease/war off of TV news. Depressing but inevitable in my view seeing as nobody anywhere is going to volunteer to lower their standard of living.
[rant off]

Well I don't know if this counts or not but I just survived the boss being gone for 10 days. Always plenty of food here. That is one reason for a garden and all of the canning jars. My stock of brews is going to need refilling but that is what the fermenter is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.