Wow big improvement!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey21

Minister of Fire
Oct 28, 2010
Soutwest VA
Is it possible that just having the pipe damper it can show improvement have not used it yet but my fire looks very different. It looks more like a not cat should look.

Is it possible that just having the pipe damper it can show improvement have not used it yet but my fire looks very different. It looks more like a not cat should look.

It does provide a little restriction even when it's open, I wouldn't guess that much though. Did you sweep the chimney when you installed it? If so that would probably the part with the biggest impact.

It does provide a little restriction even when it's open, I wouldn't guess that much though. Did you sweep the chimney when you installed it? If so that would probably the part with the biggest impact.

Yeah i swept the chimney was not very much creosote in it before i did. Last year i had to burn bad wood but the pipes were not that bad at all. I guess it only takes a thin layer to reduce draft.

Also the temps did spike but nothing like before i guess my setup just needed a small tune up.

Think of it this way when I close my input air just a 1/4 ways which those holes that they have for input air are pretty small anyways , that 1/4 ways adjustment can slow the air flow thru the stove enough that a 100 degree jump in stove top temp happens fairly quickly.

So closing the air damper slightly can fine tune your stove. slowing the air flow slightly will maybe give you just the little extra heat your looking for.

Plus for all you guys that would like to control your uncontrollable secondary air a manual pipe damper is a way to do it.

Think of it this way when I close my input air just a 1/4 ways which those holes that they have for input air are pretty small anyways , that 1/4 ways adjustment can slow the air flow thru the stove enough that a 100 degree jump in stove top temp happens fairly quickly.

So closing the air damper slightly can fine tune your stove. slowing the air flow slightly will maybe give you just the little extra heat your looking for.

Plus for all you guys that would like to control your uncontrollable secondary air a manual pipe damper is a way to do it.

i do have a pipe damper i have not had use it but just having that in the pipe fine tuned my draft. I am sure the need may come but not yet.

Must be like you guys said just the thing in there makes for some change in the draw of the flue.

Could it be from the holes you drilled to put the damper in providing some extra air flow up the flue?

As my clean out door used to have alot of air sucking into it before I sealed it off, plus I stuffed some insulation
in my flue just below the thimble. I did all of this as my masonry flue is over sized. I was looking to keep my
over sized flue heated up easier.

Your situation is different maybe with your short flue is that the extra air flow is increase the velocity of the air flow up the flue.

Who knows??????????????????????

Must be like you guys said just the thing in there makes for some change in the draw of the flue.

Could it be from the holes you drilled to put the damper in providing some extra air flow up the flue?

As my clean out door used to have alot of air sucking into it before I sealed it off, plus I stuffed some insulation
in my flue just below the thimble. I did all of this as my masonry flue is over sized. I was looking to keep my
over sized flue heated up easier.

Your situation is different maybe with your short flue is that the extra air flow is increase the velocity of the air flow up the flue.

Who knows??????????????????????

My flue is 14 feet tall The flue is running at the same temp and no smoke came out the holes were the damper is on start up.

Actually i have those holes sealed up pretty well.

Like you said who knows all i know is i notice a difference the way the fire acted and looked.

OK i did just now notice that the pipe damper was not quiet full open guess i need to start checking it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.