Wow.. Fix the old Jotul firelight 12 or buy something new. It's a Cat stove, and part of the reason

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay3000

Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
It's going to cost about $800 bucks to fix this stove. Jotul has all of the parts and can ship ASAP. Word has it that the prices are going to go way up soon, because Jotul has had to re-instate an old assembly line??? These are the parts I need.

117815 Cat access screw
>>>> 103330 inner back plate
>>>> 103327 burnplate, rear
>>>> 128455 cover, catalyst
>>>> 126421 catalyst
>>>> 128454 catalyst chamber
>>>> 128456 bottom, cat chamber
>>>> 200024 gasket- needs lots of it
>>>> Gasket for top load door
>>>> gasket for back plate
>>>> gasket for top plate
>>>> gasket for anything to do with the damper
>>>> cement to put all of this back together

I've been looking at new steel stoves, and I'm on the fence. I wonder if the reason this stove has had issues is because I've run the piss out of it, or if they all have issues. It is 12 years old. Ive had to replace some of these parts before. ( cat, rear burnplate, cat cover)Maybe it's been too hot?? I really don't know..I don't want to spend money on something that is going to have issues again soon. On the up side, this stove is already up the flight of stairs and sitting where it needs to be, with matching stovepipe installed.. The stove still looks new as the day I bought it...

I guess right now I have a stove worth 0 dollars that needs to be moved, but would make a nice outdoor fireplace. Would a 12 year old Jotul Firelight 12 (F600 size) that has been completely rebuilt and installed be worth $800???

I would rebuild it and quit running the piss out of it.

jay3000 said:
BrotherBart said:
I would rebuild it and quit running the piss out of it.

I bet you an run the piss out of the 30NC and not hurt it??

I ran the piss out of it's thicker steel predecessor for 20 years and busted it. Opened a weld. The 30 runs at 650 degrees max. If that won't get us warm we can put on a coat. Haven't put on the coats yet.

I'm of the mind to understand why you had to run the piss out of it first. Correct that problem, be it needing more insulation or getting a bigger stove, then get a new stove that will work well under the corrected constraints. The 12 wasn't Jotul's highpoint. It was an interim solution and I can see replacing it. They and others have better stoves now in production.

And smack the owner with a 2x4 so that he/she stays within the design limits of the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.