Wow, I actually bought it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
Bought the Stihl MS361! (Reasonable weight and power.)

I was going after the Stihl MS 260 Pro or Husky 346xp. (Mainly for lower weight.)

I went to the dealer and saw a Stihl MS361 still available.

It had a 20" bar on it for $609.

I figured I was already ready to spend $500 and have only read great things about the 361 from you guys. Thanks.

I asked for a 18" bar but he didn't have one, so now I have a 20" and I'll probably get a 16" bar as well.

It was set up with the 3/8" rapid super chain.

He wouldn't negotiate at all. The only thing I got was an extra chain for $10.

Next comes all the accessories and saftey gear.

andyrlee said:

I was going after the Stihl MS 260 Pro or Husky 346xp. (Mainly for lower weight.)

I figured I was already ready to spend $500 and have only read great things about the 361 from you guys. Thanks.

I asked for a 18" bar but he didn't have one, so now I have a 20" and I'll probably get a 16" bar as well.

you will never regret that purchase, its very well made and a strong runner! 20 in. bar perfect for that saw I also will run a 16 on mine but not offten.

Andy,
I pulled mine out for the first time yesterday, and it's sa-weeet! Cut up about 10 cookies off a 20" oak, and it was pretty great--never bogged once, and the saw's not even broken in yet. Oh, and the oak was frozen solid! I think we're gonna like these guys.

S

thinkxingu said:
Andy,
I pulled mine out for the first time yesterday, and it's sa-weeet! Cut up about 10 cookies off a 20" oak, and it was pretty great--never bogged once, and the saw's not even broken in yet. Oh, and the oak was frozen solid! I think we're gonna like these guys.

S

No ?

I'm sure you will be very happy. I like my 18" bar the best. The 20" is nice for bucking big stuff but It's a bit much to keep track of when limbing if I have to drop a live tree. I think a 16" would be a fast and easy on the operator.

ATB & Enjoy,
Mike P

Happy, happy, joy, joy, is about all I can say. I wouldn't be in all that great a rush to put a 16" bar on that beast, but an 18" really screams through wood on mine and of course virtually all owners say the say is just wonderful with a 20" combination sticking out the front.

You know one thing about those saws that gets scant attention but really proves to be its best feature over time? Its that anti-vibration system of mounting the handle. If you run some other saw for a little while and then pick up the 361 its just amazing how much less vibration the 361 will have. It makes a difference in how fast you fatigue running the saw, a big difference.

At any rate congratulations on the purchase. Oh, and that extra hundred bucks, it don't mean squat on a saw that going to last you 12~15 hyears; $6 or $8 a year extra to own. Not so bad.

I picked up a 361 Dec 2008 with a 20" bar, what a great combo. I also just picked up a used 038AV from the same dealer for a backup. What a great pair of saws.

andyrlee said:

I brought both 361 & 260 Pro last week.

Your never going to regret it.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51356/

Oh yeah, its your birthday! (Insert little dance)

I have the same saw with 20" bar and a 16" bar. I use the 20" a lot more than the 16". Not because of the size of the wood, but it is less bending over. Just keep the nose out of the dirt with that long bar, thats all.

You will love it!

Congrats!

I just came in from running a tank of gas thru my new 361. Man, what a great handling saw. To bad I have to go in to work soon. Would love to go out and play some more! I'm also considering a 260 pro w/ 16" bar for a back up.

Stubborn Dutchman said:
I just came in from running a tank of gas thru my new 361. Man, what a great handling saw. To bad I have to go in to work soon. Would love to go out and play some more! I'm also considering a 260 pro w/ 16" bar for a back up.

good back up saw for a 361 would be 460/660

Kong said:
Happy, happy, joy, joy, is about all I can say. I wouldn't be in all that great a rush to put a 16" bar on that beast, but an 18" really screams through wood on mine and of course virtually all owners say the say is just wonderful with a 20" combination sticking out the front.

You know one thing about those saws that gets scant attention but really proves to be its best feature over time? Its that anti-vibration system of mounting the handle. If you run some other saw for a little while and then pick up the 361 its just amazing how much less vibration the 361 will have. It makes a difference in how fast you fatigue running the saw, a big difference.

At any rate congratulations on the purchase. Oh, and that extra hundred bucks, it don't mean squat on a saw that going to last you 12~15 hyears; $6 or $8 a year extra to own. Not so bad.

Ditto. No tree will even bog that saw with a 20" bar.

Bigg_Redd said:
Kong said:

Ditto. No tree will even bog that saw with a 20" bar.

heck you can bog 361 or a 460 with a 20in. bar just depends on how aggressively you want to cut.

I run an 18" and 25" bar (I deal with some bigger stuff some times). It is a great saw. The 18" bar is like using a light saber and the 25" will still get the job done respectably.

I've been cutting 20" oak with my 18" bar and it just goes, and it's not even broken in yet. Would like it to sound better, though, so I'll probably get that ole muffler modded. Right now, sounds like a 4-stroke. If I wanted that, I'd put a b+c on my snowblower!

S

thinkxingu said:
I've been cutting 20" oak with my 18" bar and it just goes, and it's not even broken in yet. Would like it to sound better, though, so I'll probably get that ole muffler modded. Right now, sounds like a 4-stroke. If I wanted that, I'd put a b+c on my snowblower!

S

it gets louder every time you use it. Mine sounds like a motor cross bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.