WOW! New invention shows knots in Wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Students at the University of Texas have invented a machine that can identify exactly where the knots in any log are. It simply scans the logs and produces an image indicating the position of various size knots in any type of log. Will predominately be used in mills and lumber yards & a smaller residential version will be available in about 2 yrs.

READER DISCLAIMER*****..........This of course if a figment of my imagination after spending almost an hour splitting a very large round of Norway Spruce (28" across) with 7 different wedges. Hit over 10 various size knots, lost a gallon of bodily fluids and got one heck of a work out! If the above machine exists..send one my way. Will pay shipping & handling as well :)

Heehee! I know the feeling. I tried splitting a big old Scots pine a few years ago that turned to be a knotty twisted bugger. Not fun.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
"University of Texas Regents question the expense of having trees trucked to Texas for students to develop knot finder."

- BB UT Grad

Reactions: NordicSplitter
I think that too already exists. It's called a wedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.