Wow, no block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
Doing a little inspecting behind the surround panels and found it wide open. I've seen recent posts concerning, will look to somehow rectify with my installer and keep more btus in the house, another hearty thanks to this website !!

Update: I read https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/, is there a certain gauge metal I should be thinking about, also any particular type of high temp. silicone ? . . .Thanks

Attachments

• nodamper0001.JPG
    nodamper0001.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 407
  • nodamper0002.JPG
    nodamper0002.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 401
looks like the did some work to your brick to get the pipe through
the block off plate might be hard but it can be done gets some insulation behind the block off plate and stuff any areas that might be difficult to put the plate

Wow, I'd be concerned about those missing bricks I see in those pics. My understanding is that if you remove bricks you potentially lose the ability of the firebox to contain the heat. I'd be more concerned about that than any missing block-off plate, but that's just me.

24 or 26 ga sheet metal works fine - available in most plumbing and heating shops.

You might have to get a little fancy and angle the thing, to cover up those missing firebricks....and, yes, as Eric mentions those do not make me happy. Again, from afar we obviously cannot properly diagnose your situation, but my concern would be larger if the fireplace back wall was against a combustible wall on the other side (and not outside).....

If it is against a wall (an interior fireplace), then you want to make certain there is a certain distance between the liner and the combustibles....my guess is that it would be enough and no immediate danger exists....or, even it is somewhat questionable, wrapping the pipe in this area with the right insulation would solve that.

Amazingly enough, in 20 years of installing stoves, I never did this to a fireplace! Somehow, I was usually able to ovalize the stuff through and line it up - or, to be more accurate, my GENIUS installer was able to do it!

Thanks, yeah I am not happy about the firebrick knocked out, renders the fireplace useless should the next homeowner not want an insert.

Agree, would thought he would have ovalized . . definitely would have been madder than hell if the fireplace was original to the house (exterior chimney was added on).

Status
Not open for further replies.