Wow, these pellet stoves are great!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow $137.57 sounds nice! (I think our last January electric bill came to $940 before it was balanced) Sounds like your house is never empty similar to our house - she works days, I work evenings (5pm - midnight) so it's basically at 70 degrees 24/7!

I am looking forward to saying TOO BAD to Connecticut Light & Power lolololol
My last electric bill $35.00 electric...$45.00 "delivery charge"

My last electric bill $35.00 electric...$45.00 "delivery charge"
OMG that is basically a legal cruel joke! Yea, I get those 'delivery charges' too on my bill - for the amount I use, you would think it should be included at no extra charge!

Please keep us posted on you like (love?) your new stove! I'm in NE CT, as well, and it is has been COLD here. Old leaky house with oil heat and a broken wood stove. Not a good combo :p
btw: barefoot pellets are wonderful - did you get them from Trading Post? We are getting a stove from them hopefully 2nd week of Jan - waiting to hear more tomorrow. You are going to love 'em. We tried out a bunch on our old (now broken) pellet stove. It's a junky old stove that we inherited when we purchased the house and it was picky about what pellets it would burn (unlike the harmans, from what I have been reading, they eat and burn everything!). Barefoots were one of the few pellets that burned HOT in our old junker. I'm guessing in your new harman they will be wonderful!
Meg
Gee Meg... I wonder who will be getting their Harman from the TP first... you or me? lol. I did check in with them on Saturday because I ordered the stove back in November... and all they were willing to say is that there is a little bit of a back log (on Harman's end) and my P52i will be shipped today. What type of stove did you end up choosing? I'm definitely looking foward to getting it... and thankfully that cold snap we had was interrupted by our rare 70 degree Sunday!!

John

Gee Meg... I wonder who will be getting their Harman from the TP first... you or me? lol. I did check in with them on Saturday because I ordered the stove back in November... and all they were willing to say is that there is a little bit of a back log (on Harman's end) and my P52i will be shipped today. What type of stove did you end up choosing? I'm definitely looking foward to getting it... and thankfully that cold snap we had was interrupted by our rare 70 degree Sunday!!

John

Ohhh... I hope there is no delay on our stove! We are calling to order the p61a today. The xxv is beautiful but Dave from TP said we would probably be running it on a higher setting (and therefore be using more fuel) to heat the same space. We opted for bigger, not necessarily prettier. Calling him today - not sure if we have to go in or if we can do the whole order over the phone...I'm so excited!

Let's hope yours is in soon - that's a beautiful stove. When we finally replace the old crappy pellet at the other end of the house, I would love that one. Of course, I'm dreaming big. The p61a is being paid for by cash from our wedding...will have to save up for a while for the next stove :)

Ohhh... I hope there is no delay on our stove! We are calling to order the p61a today. The xxv is beautiful but Dave from TP said we would probably be running it on a higher setting (and therefore be using more fuel) to heat the same space. We opted for bigger, not necessarily prettier. Calling him today - not sure if we have to go in or if we can do the whole order over the phone...I'm so excited!

Let's hope yours is in soon - that's a beautiful stove. When we finally replace the old crappy pellet at the other end of the house, I would love that one. Of course, I'm dreaming big. The p61a is being paid for by cash from our wedding...will have to save up for a while for the next stove :)
Or you can keep an eye on the ads for a nice used stove as you will have some time now. I picked up last February the Elena, used one season for about $500. Getting a workout today as the night time low was -25 and now up to -5 with ugly winds hitting the house from the direction of most of the doors and windows. Rare SE to 30 mph.. Going to be a white Christmas with another 3-5 inches to pile up.

Attachments

• DSCN0218.JPG
    DSCN0218.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 115

Oh nice choice! I originally wanted the P61 or 68, but I have a raised hearth and either of those 2 stoves would be hanging over the end of the hearth about an inch or two at least :( I love how big the ash pans are on those two models :) (One of the reasons I'm opting for the slightly more expensive pellets is because the ash pan on the 52i is quite a bit smaller than your model, so my hope is the better the pellet, the lower the ash content and hopefully I can at least not have to empty the ash pan more than 1x per day... yea I know you can basically burn a ton before emptying!!)

I would guess that as long as you can secure your order with a credit card, you may not have to drive up there to place your order. Are you also getting your pellets from them? Although I understand Harmans can burn any type of pellet, I still think the better the pellet, the happier the stove... and the happier the stove, well you get it ;) lol.

Hope all goes well - looking forward to hearing more. Merry Christmas to all :)

Reactions: The Ds
I love how big the ash pans are on those two models :) (One of the reasons I'm opting for the slightly more expensive pellets is because the ash pan on the 52i is quite a bit smaller than your model, so my hope is the better the pellet, the lower the ash content and hopefully I can at least not have to empty the ash pan more than 1x per day... yea I know you can basically burn a ton before emptying!!)

You definitely wouldn't need to empty it that often. I had the previous model Accentra Insert and probably had to empty it every other day or every three days. I found it to be a bit of a pain that in the middle of a frigid cold spell I would have to shut the stove down, but you're really left with no choice (unless you want an enormous mess on your hands). The Accentra is a great stove, and looks fantastic! I do know that Harman claims that an entire ton can be burned before needing to empty the ash pan in the P68. Let's just say that I'm not buying it. I know that there is a certain crowd that claim to burn "ashless" pellets who would probably claim they burn two ton without emptying their ash pan. Again, I'm not buying it. That said, as you noted, there is a significant difference in the size of the two ash pans, and that is definitely a welcomed change for me. Now, I can at least go a full week without needing to shut the stove down, if I don't want to.

You definitely wouldn't need to empty it that often. I had the previous model Accentra Insert and probably had to empty it every other day or every three days. I found it to be a bit of a pain that in the middle of a frigid cold spell I would have to shut the stove down, but you're really left with no choice (unless you want an enormous mess on your hands). The Accentra is a great stove, and looks fantastic! I do know that Harman claims that an entire ton can be burned before needing to empty the ash pan in the P68. Let's just say that I'm not buying it. I know that there is a certain crowd that claim to burn "ashless" pellets who would probably claim they burn two ton without emptying their ash pan. Again, I'm not buying it. That said, as you noted, there is a significant difference in the size of the two ash pans, and that is definitely a welcomed change for me. Now, I can at least go a full week without needing to shut the stove down, if I don't want to.
Wow a week would be fantastic even at that! A few of the other pellet stoves I looked into (non-Harman), the ash pan looked like an after thought. It may be fine if you live say in SC, GA or someplace where you only use your pellet stove for a few hours to take the chill off... but we in the Northeast really have to take the size of the hopper and ash pan into very serious consideration before purchasing! If not for the size (depth) of my raised hearth, I would have definitely picked the P68, with the extended hopper to boot :)

Wow a week would be fantastic even at that! A few of the other pellet stoves I looked into (non-Harman), the ash pan looked like an after thought. It may be fine if you live say in SC, GA or someplace where you only use your pellet stove for a few hours to take the chill off... but we in the Northeast really have to take the size of the hopper and ash pan into very serious consideration before purchasing! If not for the size (depth) of my raised hearth, I would have definitely picked the P68, with the extended hopper to boot :)

I couldn't agree with your point on the ash pan any more. Especially after going from the rather tiny ash pan of the Accentra to the enormous ash pan on my P68. Bigger is absolutely, positively better! I will never deal with a tiny ash pan again. I will tell you that I draw the line with the hopper extension. While I love the idea of having as many pellets loaded as possible, that extension is damn ugly, and in my opinion, ruins the look of the stove. It simply looks like an awkward addition to my eyes. The good thing about the P68 is that even without the extension, it does hold almost two full bags of pellets. I couldn't even get one bag of pellets into my Accentra insert...another frustration for me on those really cold nights. It simply wasn't capable of holding enough pellets to heat my house, without going to bed late and waking up early.

I couldn't agree with your point on the ash pan any more. Especially after going from the rather tiny ash pan of the Accentra to the enormous ash pan on my P68. Bigger is absolutely, positively better! I will never deal with a tiny ash pan again. I will tell you that I draw the line with the hopper extension. While I love the idea of having as many pellets loaded as possible, that extension is damn ugly, and in my opinion, ruins the look of the stove. It simply looks like an awkward addition to my eyes. The good thing about the P68 is that even without the extension, it does hold almost two full bags of pellets. I couldn't even get one bag of pellets into my Accentra insert...another frustration for me on those really cold nights. It simply wasn't capable of holding enough pellets to heat my house, without going to bed late and waking up early.
Oh definitely agree with the UGLY part of the equation!! The newer one I'm getting (the 52i) holds up to 64.5 lbs of pellets which is basically enough for 13 hours on its highest setting (not sure how often I will even have it on that setting and for what length of time) - not sure how fast the ash pan will fill up... but out of all the inserts I looked at, the 52i had the largest ash pan and largest hopper, so it should work well with the limitations on size I am forced to work with :)

Our Accentra insert holds about a bag & 1/4...

There are a few different sizes depending on the size fireplace it's going into.
True - I was fortunate enough to at least be able to have the largest size since I wasn't able to have a non-insert! A little ray of sunshine :)

Reactions: PPLcangotoh...
Hi, I am new to pellet stoves as well, got a harmon p35 in October and have absolutely been loving it, does a good job heating our 1800 sqft house, it' nice a toasty, I wear shorts and t's most of the time when home and I actually thinks it's a little too warm but the wife is happy. Started with 2 tons of pellets and am almost through the first, guess I'll be ordering some more soon. We have oil heat as well and are now only using about 30 gals/month. The oil burner heats our water too and I run the furnace once at night and once in the morning just to keep the pipes warm.

I have the P68 and am currently burning two bags a day. Usually clean on the weekend; well last weekend we needed to go to the cities for the grandsons (twins) birthday and family Christmas parties. Just cleaned the stove today and the ash pan was full to the top that would be 20 bags. Granted I am burning big box pellets from Menards, but that is all that is available around here, Home Depot sells the same.

As far as the extended hopper, we only add that when we go away for the weekend. It just sits on top of the other hopper and is real easy to set on and take off. At two bags a day this will still only give us about a day and a half burn time. Today was warm about 12 above, but we had a minus 35 the other night and most nights it has been in the teens or twenties below zero.

I have the P68 and am currently burning two bags a day. Usually clean on the weekend; well last weekend we needed to go to the cities for the grandsons (twins) birthday and family Christmas parties. Just cleaned the stove today and the ash pan was full to the top that would be 20 bags. Granted I am burning big box pellets from Menards, but that is all that is available around here, Home Depot sells the same.

As far as the extended hopper, we only add that when we go away for the weekend. It just sits on top of the other hopper and is real easy to set on and take off. At two bags a day this will still only give us about a day and a half burn time. Today was warm about 12 above, but we had a minus 35 the other night and most nights it has been in the teens or twenties below zero.
The Indeck pellets are ugly with ash. Almost have to wonder that the name should be IN-DEBT. Or come with a free ash bucket with every ton. You still have not completed the wood stove project? We are going way down again next week with at least four days not going above 0. My shop heater hatched the control board and wont get a new one in the mail till mid week as the manufacture is closed till Monday:( It was the risk I took in getting a 5 year old used stove cheap. $135 taking a flush at a worst of times.

Last edited:
Oh definitely agree with the UGLY part of the equation!! The newer one I'm getting (the 52i) holds up to 64.5 lbs of pellets which is basically enough for 13 hours on its highest setting (not sure how often I will even have it on that setting and for what length of time) - not sure how fast the ash pan will fill up... but out of all the inserts I looked at, the 52i had the largest ash pan and largest hopper, so it should work well with the limitations on size I am forced to work with :)
A 52k btu stove burns over 6 pounds an hour, on its top setting, so a hopper holding 65 pounds will last 10 hours. As for the ash pan, if you do find your pan to be too small, burning super premium pellets, should have half the ash of your typical premium pellet. My ash pan is the size of a tea cup and I can burn 10 bags, or a typical weeks worth before emptying it, as long as they're super premium. Then again, now that I have a PowerSmith ash vac, I have been doing a quick, 5 sec vacuuming of the pan, since, it's so easy and convenient. Maybe, it's not part of everyone's daily routine, but I do a quick vacuum of my fire grate so vacuuming the ash pan seems easy.

A 52k btu stove burns over 6 pounds an hour, on its top setting, so a hopper holding 65 pounds will last 10 hours. As for the ash pan, if you do find your pan to be too small, burning super premium pellets, should have half the ash of your typical premium pellet. My ash pan is the size of a tea cup and I can burn 10 bags, or a typical weeks worth before emptying it, as long as they're super premium. Then again, now that I have a PowerSmith ash vac, I have been doing a quick, 5 sec vacuuming of the pan, since, it's so easy and convenient. Maybe, it's not part of everyone's daily routine, but I do a quick vacuum of my fire grate so vacuuming the ash pan seems easy.
Ohhhh - I thought my model burned 5 lbs/hour.... Just received the call - will be getting it installed this Saturday :)

Reactions: Madcodger and chken
The Indeck pellets are ugly with ash. Almost have to wonder that the name should be IN-DEBT. Or come with a free ash bucket with every ton. You still have not completed the wood stove project? We are going way down again next week with at least four days not going above 0. My shop heater hatched the control board and wont get a new one in the mail till mid week as the manufacture is closed till Monday:( It was the risk I took in getting a 5 year old used stove cheap. $135 taking a flush at a worst of times.

The wood stove is going in the addition we added on. I am doing most of the work myself and progress is slow. Finished the taping last week but have not had time to prime and paint yet. Hopefully it will be installed soon. The brickwork we plan on putting behind the stove may have to wait. I want to get the stove installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.